A breakup is an extremely tough thing to go through, no matter how old you are or how long you have been in the relationship. Things can break off after a few dates, after a few years of dating, during an engagement, or sometimes even after several long years of marriage.
Sometimes you see the breakup coming from a mile away and other times you will have absolutely no idea that it was about to happen. For most of us, breaking up is a devastating experience.
It is no wonder that there are so many love songs about breaking up, whether it is being brokenhearted, feeling betrayed, or experiencing difficulty in moving on.
Perhaps you were the one who was dumped. Life without your significant other might seem unimaginable and you might not know how to move on.
Maybe you want to tell your ex that you are not okay after the breakup and that you are not over them. Perhaps you have some unresolved feelings and things that you still need to say.
Or maybe you are the one who decided to break things off with the other person. After a breakup, things either end well or they end badly. A breakup can be mutual or it can be one-sided.
Maybe you want to check on your ex to make sure they are okay. Or you would like to apologize for how things ended. It is possible that you want them to stay away and you would prefer that they not contact you.
You might even be someone who is really close to a person who is going through a breakup. Maybe you are that person’s parent or best friend and you wish you knew how to help them get through this.
In this article, you can find quotes for every situation regarding what to say after a breakup. Whether you have gone through the breakup yourself or know someone who is going through an intense breakup, these quotes can help them heal and move on to better things.
Use these quotes to help you heal or to help you process your feelings. If you know someone going through a bad breakup, you can even use some of these quotes as advice.
Things to Say After a Breakup
1. I am so sorry for how things ended.
2. I hope that you are feeling a little better today. I am sorry for how things went yesterday and I am here if you want to talk.
3. I hope that you can move on from this and find someone who is deserving of someone who is as great as you.
4. We both deserve to be happy. I am just sorry that we could not manage to find that happiness with each other.
5. I am glad that we talked and that we are on the same page. I hope that you are doing well.
6. I am sorry for what I said. I did not mean to hurt your feelings.
7. I am sorry for how I said things when we were breaking up.
8. We probably both said a lot of things that we did not really mean when we broke up. For my part, I am sorry for being so harsh with you.
9. You did not deserve the things that I put you through when we were together.
10. I am trying to learn from my mistakes. And treating you badly and letting you go is one of the biggest mistakes that I have ever made.
11. I am sorry for going about things the wrong way.
12. Can you forgive me for what I did to you in our relationship?
13. I would be happier if we could stay together, but I know that I have to accept this breakup and move on.
14. Thank you for being honest about how you feel.
15. I am glad that we talked yesterday. Thank you for being honest with me. I hope that we can still be friends.
16. This breakup is really hard on me and I do not think that I can stay friends with you. For me to really move on, I need you to not be in my life.
17. I understand if you need some space and time to heal, but I am here if you want to talk about it.
18. I can’t believe I gave you my heart.
19. I feel so stupid for trusting you.
20. I feel foolish for believing that you would never break my heart.
21. It was foolish of me to think that we would be together forever.
22. I should have known that nothing lasts forever.
23. I should have known that our relationship was too good to be true.
24. I wish I would have known that you were unhappy in the relationship. Maybe I could have done something to save it. Or maybe we could have ended things earlier to save us the waste of time.
25. Was anything you said to me true? Did you really love me?
26. Since we are no longer a couple, I feel okay telling you that I only pretended to laugh at your jokes. Also, your breath smells.
27. To be honest, I do not think that you deserve to be happy. Not after how you treated me.
28. I still find myself thinking about you and wondering how you are doing.
29. Letting you go was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do.
30. I hope that you will realize one day, all of the bad things you did in our relationship.
31. I deserved better. And you did not deserve me at all.
32. I just want you to be happy.
33. I still miss you and think about you.
34. I still love you.
35. I miss what we had together.
36. Is there anything that I can do to win you back?
37. I think that I might still be in love with you.
38. No matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to get over you.
39. What did I do wrong in the relationship?
40. I wish I could go back and fix everything.
41. I regret some of the things that I did when we were together.
42. I definitely took you and our relationship for granted and I am sorry for that.
43. Even though things did not end well with us, I hope you do not still hate me years from now.
44. I could not stand it if you hated me. Even though we are no longer together, I still care about you.
45. Even though we did not work out, you taught me what love was. And for that, I am grateful.
46. I still miss you but I doubt that you miss me too.
47. Do you even think about me anymore or am I just a distant memory in your head?
48. I want you to know that I have moved on. It took a long time, but I am in a much better place right now.
49. I need you to know that there is no chance of us ever getting back together.
50. I want to thank you for breaking up with me. It really opened my eyes to how bad our relationship was.
51. Thank you for ending things. I feel like I really dodged a bullet with you.
52. Good luck to whoever ends up with you next, because they are going to need it.
53. This relationship really hurt me and you really hurt me. It is going to take a really long time for me to be able to trust anyone again.
54. I seriously thought that you and I were so happy together and in love, but you had me fooled. Now I feel like I have been left alone to pick up all the pieces of my broken heart.
55. I do not hate you for how things ended between us, but I do not want to be friends with you either.
56. I cannot just be your friend, not after everything that we have been through together. I think that it is best for the both of us if we truly go our separate ways.
57. If you do not mind, I would like all of my things back.
58. I never meant to hurt you.
59. Hurting you is the last thing that I wanted to happen.
60. I’m sorry for how things went down.
61. I wish nothing but the best for you.
62. I’m sorry we couldn’t make it work.
63. Thank you for taking this so well.
64. How are you feeling?
65. I’m sorry for going about things the wrong way.
66. I’m sorry for how I handled things.
67. I am sorry that I could not make you happy.
68. I am sorry that I let you down.
69. I will always care about you, even if we are no longer together.
70. I have moved on.
71. I am completely over you.
72. I hope there are no hard feelings.
73. I am still hopelessly in love with you.
74. My head is telling me to forget you, but my heart refuses to let go.
75. I hope you can move on from this breakup.
76. I understand and I wish the best for you. Thank you for being honest to me.
77. Do not worry about me, I will be okay.
78. I respect your feelings and your decision to end the relationship.
79. It will take some time, but I think I will be okay.
80. Thank you for the good times that we did have. I will think of those memories fondly.
81. Even though this is goodbye, I am glad that you were an important part of my life.
82. I am sad about this, but at the end of the day, I know I have to respect your decision.
83. The honest truth is that I am sad right now that you are ending things, but I know that I will be okay.
84. I am going to miss you so much.
85. I would be lying if I said that I was okay with breaking up. But it takes two people to keep a relationship going. And if your heart is not in this anymore, then a breakup is for the best. I just wish you the best.
86. I am really hurt by this breakup. I am not saying this because I want to make you feel bad. I am just being honest about how I feel.
87. I am going to need time to think about this. Can we talk in a few days?
88. I will miss what we had. You are a very special person.
89. Whoever does end up with you is very lucky.
90. Maybe this breakup is a blessing in disguise.
91. What changed between us?
92. Where did things go wrong?
93. It hurts to know that you do not see me in your future.
94. I still care about you. I always will.
95. I feel like my heart has been ripped out, stomped on, and broken into a million little pieces. I don’t even know how to begin to heal from this.
Things to say to yourself:
96. I am going to be okay.
97. I deserve to be happy.
98. It was just not meant to be.
99. I love myself.
100. I want to be happy.
101. I am better of without him/her.
102. I can find someone better.
103. There is someone better for me out there.
104. It is his/her loss.
105. I have to learn how to be single for a little bit.
106. I have to learn how to love me first. The rest will follow.
107. You deserve better.
108. There are other fish in the sea.
109. I am here if you ever need to talk about it.
110. Time heals all wounds.
111. You did the best that you could do.
112. You gave the relationship your all.
113. Believe me when I say that there is someone better out there waiting for you.
114. Everything happens for a reason, even the bad things like getting your heart broken.
115. It is their loss because you are an amazing person.
116. You are going to be okay. I just know it.
117. Try to take things one day at a time.
118. It is not going to be easy, but you will get through this. And I will be here to help you through it.
119. Do not let this discourage you from trying to find love in your life. This just was not the right time or the right person for you.
120. Try to be the mature one in this breakup. It might be tempting to be mean and vindictive, but what good will that do to anyone? Take the high road and move on with your life.
121. I have no advice for you, but I am here if you need me.
122. Time heals everything. Eventually your wounds will fade away and you will be able to move on.
123. Just take this breakup as a lesson learned.
124. Do you want to go get a drink and unwind? You can vent to me about your breakup and how you are feeling.
125. Do not beat yourself up over this breakup. You did the best that you could do. There is nothing else that you could have done to make things work.
126. Sometimes a breakup is not anyone’s fault. There does not always have to be someone to blame for why a relationship had to end.
127. You did the best that you could. This breakup just seemed unavoidable.
128. You cannot say that you did not give the relationship your all. Sometimes you can do everything possible to try and make a relationship work and you still end up breaking up anyway.
129. You can try to be the perfect partner in a relationship, but it does not matter if the other person will not meet you halfway. Allow yourself to move on and find someone better who actually deserves you.
130. Let it all out. Breakups are tough. It is hard to lose the person that mattered so much to you.
131. You are allowed to feel sad right now. You are going through a rough breakup.
132. LIfe is not always fair but you should not give up on relationships just because you just broke up with someone who was not right for you. Happiness is out there for you.
133. You are worthy and deserving of someone who can love and appreciate the real you.
134. It is okay to be alone for a little while you heal and figure things out.
135. You just had a breakup. This is the hard part. I know you feel broken right now. But believe me, it will slowly get easier for you and one day you will find that you have moved on.
136. The right person will come along for you.
137. Things will suck, but they will not suck forever.
138. This breakup is still a fresh wound for you, but just remember that time heals all wounds.
139. It may not seem like it now, but your heartbreak will end one day.
140. Your prince charming is still out there, waiting to find you.
141. This breakup is a learning experience for you that will make you a stronger person. Maybe you can grow from it.
142. Take the time that you need to get over this.
143. Do not give up hope on love just because this relationship did not work out.
144. Do not worry about how bad things are right now. The best things are yet to come.
145. Try not to rush right into the next relationship. Sometimes we need to be by ourselves for a little bit after a big breakup.
146. Maybe you can take this breakup as an opportunity to make some positive changes in your life.
147. Maybe a change of scenery can help you move on from this breakup.
148. You broke up for a reason.
149. Do not let this experience turn you into a bitter and cynical person.
150. You can work through this.
151. Maybe this person did not give you the love that you deserved, but someone else out there will.
152. You are strong and this breakup will make you even stronger.
153. You are beautiful.
154. You can get through this breakup. I have absolute faith in you.
155. You were too good for that person anyway.
156. I always thought that you could do so much better.
157. I think that you deserve someone who treats you better anyway.
158. Today may be terrible, but tomorrow will be better.
159. You are an amazing person and you will find the right person one day.
160. This breakup is a blessing in disguise. You ended up dodging a bullet.
161. You will never be the same after this breakup, but you will be okay.
162. You will come out of this a much stronger and better person than you were before.
163. I can only imagine what you must be going through right now.
164. All you can really take away from this ended relationship is that you learned a lesson from it.
165. Cry if you need to. You have been through a lot.
166. Sometimes the best way for you to be happy is to let go of things that you tried to hold onto that were actually hurting you.
167. You will be okay, just not tonight. But you have people who care about you and want to see you through this.
168. You may not see it yet, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Right now you might feel like you are lost in the dark, but when you finally see that light at the end, you will forget about your heartbreak.
169. Even though you feel your heart aching right now, it will slowly begin to heal. It will take some time, but one day you will realize that your heart does not hurt anymore.
170. You will not always be everyone’s cup of tea. And not everyone will love you the way that you deserve to be loved. All it takes is finding that one person who is out there waiting for you.
171. Just because this person was not right for you, it does not mean that there is not someone else out there for you who is a much better match. Realize that you can and will find someone even better.
172. You might be really sad from this breakup right now, but you would be surprised at what is in store for you. Trust that the universe has something even better planned, someone who is really your perfect match.