When you’re single and looking to make a connection, it’s tough to ignore the draw of online dating sites. Whether you seek a casual hook-up, a date, or something long-term, there’s an option for you. Are you ready to learn more about dating in Argentina and the most popular Argentinian dating sites?
What You Need to Know About Argentinian Dating Etiquette
Before hopping on the hottest dating sites to connect with an Argentinian, you may want to learn a little about cultural norms. Like other countries, Argentina has some unique ideas about love and dating. Knowing what to expect can help you avoid awkward encounters!
You may also like our other article: dating an Argentinian man.
No date is fun if the conversation falters or one party misconstrues something that’s said.
- Embrace the loud, passionate communication style.
- Maintain eye contact, it’s polite.
- Expect to hear nicknames based on your physical traits.
- Avoid sensitive topics, especially politics with the United States, Brazil, and Great Britain.
- A kiss on the cheek is a common greeting, even with strangers.
Being Late is Normal
It’s polite to be late in Argentina. Showing up on time is not necessarily rude, but it’s awkward – plan on arriving twenty to forty minutes late for everything. Dinners usually occur between 9:00 pm and midnight.
Cancellations are Common
Many people consider Argentinians flaky because they tend to cancel at the last minute. You may find plans canceled due to rain or a last-minute family commitment, so prepare for your date by making back-up plans, just in case.
Note that family events and soccer matches are two of the most important aspects of life for Argentinian men. Don’t expect to go on a date during a soccer match and accept that family always comes first. You definitely score bonus points for knowing about soccer and showing excitement for the local team.
Runs from Hot to Cold in a Flash
Speaking of flaky, Argentinian’s tend to run hot and cold. You may roll from a hot and heavy romance to no contact for a few weeks. Be patient and take it in stride because it’s a cultural norm more than a blow-off.
It can be easy to wonder where you stand with an Argentinian since they can run so hot and cold, but that’s part of the adventure and excitement. Argentines tend to be blunt and can be aggressive with people they’re romantically interested in.
Of course, it pays to prepare for a one-night stand because it’s a common occurrence in the Argentinian dating scene. After you hook up, if your partner says he’ll (or she’ll) call you, don’t expect to hear from them again.
Prepare to Share
It’s easy to find an Argentinian’s passion and fire appealing, but all of that heat is usually spread around. When you date an Argentinian, you’re generally not their only partner. Of course, that means you’re free to explore your options as well.
Of note, cheating is a part of dating culture in Argentina. While Argentinians expect it, foreigners may struggle with the idea of their boyfriend or girlfriend spending time with somebody else. However, platonic relationships between men and women are equally common in Argentina, so it can be difficult to tell the difference.
Public Affection is the Norm
If the idea of a smoking hot public kiss makes you blush, you may not want to pursue an Argentinian. PDAs (public displays of affection) are part of Argentina’s culture and so ingrained in their way of life that nobody bats an eye at two adults making out.
Argentinians are tactile people, so don’t expect them to give you the same personal space as you get elsewhere. They look for ways to touch people in their immediate conversation, even strangers.
The Truth About Telos
While pay-by-the-hour hotels and motels may be taboo in many countries, they are commonplace in Argentina. In fact, telos, or sex motels, are an important part of dating culture in Argentina.
Push aside any concepts of seedy, rundown motels with moth-eaten bedding. These pay-by-the-hour facilities tend to carry a moderate price tag but feature finer furnishings and decor than your typical motel. Some telos are downright lavish affairs.
Since many Argentines live with their parents well into their twenties, telos provide a safe option for sexual encounters. In Buenos Aires, many neighborhoods have telos, some with creative themes, and most provide contraceptives.
Top Argentinian Dating Sites
Dating in Argentina looks a little different, but like anywhere else in the world, you can expect to find matches through online dating. Thankfully, you have plenty of options for finding an Argentinian date.
Download the app for free, create a profile, and access millions of users from around the globe. It’s a popular option with Argentinians, especially since most users want to find casual hook-ups.
There are two ways to meet people with Badoo, Encounters or People Nearby.
- “Encounters” match you with people based on your interests. You can like or dislike a match and make as many connections as you like in one day.
- The “People Nearby” option shows individuals nearby who share some of your interests. Click on a profile to like it or start a chat.
A basic account is free, but upgrading your membership unlocks an array of features. Some of the benefits include seeing who likes you back, who adds you as a favorite, and invisibly viewing other profiles. You can also purchase credits to spend on boost features.
- Free to join with an exceptional fee structure for premium features
- Members are extremely active on the platform
- Users connect social media accounts or complete phone verification to limit fake accounts
- Features a geographical search function
- Most users are younger, late teens and early twenties
- Photo verification process is extensive, but the profiles are minimalistic
- It can get expensive fast if you want to access extra features
Here is our more detailed review on Badoo.
Bumble is similar to another popular dating app, Tinder, but it gives women all the power. Men can message a woman, but then she has the power to respond or let the connection expire. This site aims to limit the scum and spam that women often encounter on an online dating site.
The concept is simple enough; you scroll through profiles and swipe right or left based on your interest. If both parties swipe right, it’s a connection, and the woman has 24 hours to initiate a conversation. You can message in the app or access the phone and video chat features.
You can access many of Bumble’s features for free, but a paid upgrade unlocks perks. Bumble Premium includes access to people who already like your profile, invisible modes, travel modes, and advanced filters. You can also go with a Bumble Boost for additional perks.
- Convenient mobile platform that’s easy to navigate
- Women have the upper hand
- Lots of bonus features and add-ons available
- Steady membership growth
- Have to connect within 24 hours of making a match
- Significantly more women than men on the app
- There’s no search option
The whole basis of this site is flirting and hooking up, so if you’re looking for a deeper connection, you may want to move on. It’s a legitimate option for many users because it’s LGBTQ friendly. There are two options – casual dating or a one-night stand – but it functions more on the latter.
You can set up an account for free, and you can use your Facebook account to register. Make a match by swiping up or down, and skip users you don’t like. Swiping down means you want to hook up, while swiping up indicates you want to go on a date.
With the free version, you can access ten profiles every 24 hours. Upgrade to a premium profile for unlimited profiles and a messaging feature. Naturally, like other dating sites, you can pay to access additional features.
- Perfect for casual hook-ups, but features an option for dating
- Only connect if you mutually like each other
- Limits fake or spam users
- Modern, user-friendly interface
- Customer service leaves a lot to be desired
- Not many active users compared to other sites
- Lacks search filters
Happn is a dating site that uses your location to make matches. The app connects you with other members nearby. Incidentally, the number one place to make a Happn connection is Obelisco de Buenos Aires in Argentina.
Sign up is fast and easy with a Facebook account or mobile number. You can import information from Facebook or fill the profile in on your own. Many aspects of Happn are free to use, but like other sites, you get more features if you pay to upgrade. Paid features include invisibility options, privacy settings, and no ads.
Happn is different because it skips the search function and instead suggests other members that are within 250 meters of you. It’s only possible to send likes unless two members match. If you match with another member, then you can message with them.
- Matches made by geographical location
- Only receive messages from people you show interest in
- Excellent for high-traffic areas, like big cities
- Hide yourself using invisibility mode
- Only available as a smartphone app
- Some areas don’t see much activity
- No search function to access users outside your range
The site boasts more than three million members, including thousands of Argentinian singles looking for connections. You can choose to search for friendship, love, casual dating, or marriage.
To get started, you just need to create a profile – make sure you fill out the profile completely and include a flirty photo. Then, you can browse their database based on your preferences. You have to purchase a subscription to start messaging with other members.
Choose from three levels of membership based on your needs and what you’re willing to pay.
- Standard allows you to search matches, send “interest” to any other member, and message with other paying members.
- Gold adds access to audio and video chat, instant messaging, and removes annoying ads.
- Platinum expands your profile and increases your appearance in searches. You also get enhanced search features and VIP status.
This site is geared toward Latino and Latina singles, but you can access members from around the world. It’s intended to create matches within the same culture, even if you are in different parts of the world.
- Easy to join wherever you are in the world
- Includes identity verification, so you don’t have to worry about fake profiles
- Employs reliable security features
- Geared toward making long-term connections for people from the same culture
- Significantly more men than women
- Sign-up is fast, but approval of photos can take a while
- You can’t message with a standard membership
Here is our more detailed Latin American Cupid review.
Match.com remains a popular dating site in many countries, so it’s no surprise that the Argentinian version has more than 300,000 users. It’s easy to sign-up and navigate the site. To start, you need to provide your gender, date of birth, and the gender you want to match with. Then, you answer questions about your interests and background.
Users have three options for finding a match – basic search by similar interests, advanced search that allows you to target certain preferences, or a shuffle feature. The shuffle search provides you with three potential matches who you can like or dislike. If you match with any of the three, the site notifies you both.
Match Argentina allows you to exchange “flirts” for free, but you have to subscribe to send messages on the platform. There is only one paid option, a Premium membership, that gives you access to messaging and live chats with any other members. You can also pay for invisible browsing or a profile boost.
- More than 20 million users around the globe
- Not a hook-up site, users seek love and marriage
- Long-term company with high success rate
- Includes a video date features
- Need to upgrade to a paid membership to send messages
- Unlikely to find more casual connections
Here is our more detailed Match.com review
OKCupid is a free dating platform that opens the door to millions of potential matches, but also a significant number of spammers. It can take a while to scroll through profiles, but you can find almost any type of connection you seek.
Sign up with your Facebook account or by entering your information manually. You must choose a username and password, write a short description, and respond to five personality questions. There are several additional questions you can respond to and plenty of ways to round out your profile if desired.
Like most dating sites, you can “like” another profile with the free profile. However, OKCupid also allows you to message other users for free. If you want to see who has “liked” your profile or access additional features, it means a paid upgrade.
The A-List membership provides access to advanced searches, invisible browsing, messaging features, and no ads. You can also pay for Incognito mode to navigate the site invisibly and hide your profile. Alternatively, if you need more exposure, you may want to pay for a profile boost.
- Millions of extremely active users
- Matches based on compatibility instead of superficial markers
- Lots of features available with a free profile
- Paid accounts are more affordable than some alternatives
- You have to pay for an upgrade to see who likes you
- Search functions need an upgrade
- You can’t use video chat through the app
Here is our more detailed review on OkCupid.
Tinder remains one of the most popular dating apps in the world, and that includes Argentina. In fact, Tinder reports that Argentinians prefer to date foreigners, and many make connections through the app. With several million members from around the globe, it’s easy to find multiple matches, though they’re likely to be casual hook-ups and not lead to long-term relationships.
You can access Tinder through the app or website. Setting up a profile is easy, and like some other apps, you can use your Facebook account. You must verify your email or phone number to confirm the registration and upload four or five photos.
It’s free to create a profile, swipe, and send messages. You can even find other users near you. However, if you want to make the most of Tinder, it’s probably in your best interest to upgrade for access to unlimited likes and swipes, instant matches, and a plethora of special features.
- Millions of members
- Easy to use with simple swipe features
- LGBTQ friendly
- Options to connect via additional sources, like Spotify and Snapchat
- Limited security in terms of catching and preventing fake profiles
- Profiles are limited compared to other sites
- Superficial selection process with swipes based on photos
Here is our more detailed review on Tinder App
Making the Most of Online Dating Sites
The biggest thing to remember is that while there is some overlap, many of these sites offer different types of connections.
If you want to check out other popular dating sites and apps, here are the best dating apps many singles like.
Choose a site based on the type of connection you hope to make. There’s no question that you can find exactly what you’re looking for with one (or more) of these popular dating sites!