If you are reading this article, then you have probably been asked to be someone’s Best Man for their upcoming wedding. You might feel incredibly honored to be such an important part of such a special day. Being the Best Man comes with a few responsibilities, including preparing and delivering a speech for the big wedding day at the reception. If you have not been to many weddings, you might be unsure of how to prepare and format your speech.
Best Man Template Guide
While the speech that the Best Man gives is often expected to be a little bit lighthearted and fun compared to the other speeches, you will still want to remember that this is a wedding. You might want to poke a little fun at the groom, but at the same time you do not want to embarrass him in front of his co-workers, family, and friends.
Therefore there are some things you will want to keep in mind when writing up your speech. Some things that you should probably avoid talking about in your Best Man speech include details about past relationships, and talking about any serious shortcoming that the groom might have.
If you are ever feeling in doubt, you can recite your speech to another person to get their opinion. Doing so will help give you a fresh perspective on whether or not your speech is appropriate for your targeted audience.
If you are struggling to figure out how to format your Best Man speech, you have come to the right place. First, introduce yourself to the guests and state your relationship to the bride and groom. You will want to greet the crowd and have an opening line that reels everyone in.
The guests should want to listen to you rather than continue to talk amongst themselves. You should also thank the other speakers who have gone before you.
There are many ways to make your speech enjoyable for the guests. You might even want to use some humor in the beginning to break the ice. Below, you will find some funny quotes that can be used in your Best Man speech. Think about what you want your style to be. Would you rather have a goofy, funny speech or one that is a little more polished and formal?
You will also want to consider the bride and groom’s senses of humor as well as the crowd that you will be speaking to in the room. Thinking about these factors will help you make a Best Man speech that is enjoyable while being appropriate at the same time.
While there is no set way for you to outline your Best Man speech, here are a few ideas that will help you put together a memorable speech that everyone will appreciate. Talk about good qualities of the groom and compliment the bride. At the same time, be careful on how you compliment the bride. You do not want to go overboard and seem inappropriate.
Are there important people who could not make it to the wedding? You might want to include them and even get a quote or a message from those loved ones. Including that in your speech can make it even more heartfelt and personal and it is something that the bride and groom will be sure to appreciate.
Last but not least, do not forget to propose a toast. You can toast to the bride and groom, to their marriage, their love and happiness, or you can toast to all of the above.
To sum it up, introduce yourself, thank everyone for coming, and let everyone know how you know the bride and groom. Include an anecdote about the groom and if you can, a story of how you got to know the bride. Be sure to compliment the bride as well and do not forget to end your speech with a toast to the newlyweds. This is more or less what is expected in a Best Man’s speech.
Starting a speech, even when it has a good opening line, is not always easy, even when you have all of the words written down on paper. Public speaking can be difficult and nerve-wracking for most people so you will want to prepare yourself for the occasion. Instead of rushing to speak, take a deep breath and allow yourself a moment to calm your nerves.
Instead of looking past the people in the crowd, try to make eye content with some of them, including the bride and groom. Doing this will make your speech delivery much more genuine.
These are just a few ways that you can prepare and deliver an amazing and memorable Best Man speech. Use the Best Man speech examples below to help you put together a unique and special speech that the bride, groom, and guests will remember and appreciate.
Best Man Speech Examples
1. [Groom] has always been a great guy for as long as I have known him. It wasn’t until he met [bride] that we all realized that something had been missing all along. With [bride,] he is complete and he is even better than before.
2. [Groom] is a really special guy with a heart of gold. And I am so happy that he found someone as wonderful as he is to share his life with.
3. Love is the 8th wonder of the world. And I am so happy that [bride] and [groom] found it in each other.
4. Let us toast to a long and merry life for the bride and groom. May they continue to find joy together, grow old together, and laugh together for many, many years to come.
5. [Bride] and [groom,] may the love that you share for each other continue to grow with each and every year that passes. Never forget this wonderful day that made you husband and wife. I know it will be a special, unforgettable day for all of us as well.
Funny Best Man Speeches
6. Since I have never been a best man before, I decided to do some research to find out more about what one talks about in his speech. I learned that the best man is supposed to sing the praises of the groom and talk about his many great qualities. Well, I cannot sing and I certainly won’t lie to you all.
7. [Groom,] I am sure you already know how lucky you are today, because you get to leave with such a beautiful, loving, kind, and caring woman. And [bride,] you’re lucky too. You get too leave this party with a gorgeous dress and a beautiful bouquet of flowers.
8. [Groom,] I never got to thank you for giving me the honor of being your best man. I don’t think I have ever told you this, but you are like the little brother that I never wanted.
9. It is a funny thing that when a guy has nothing that he needs to worry about, he then decides to go off and get married.
10. I was asked to give a speech today and as you all know, such speeches end with a toast. And as it so happens, [groom] is the toast to [bride’s] butter. They are great apart, but together they are even better. Together, they are the perfect pair.
11. The most valuable possession that a man can ever have in this world is a woman’s heart.
12. I cannot tell you all how honored I am to be bride and groom’s Best Man. Watching their love blossom has made me hopeful for what my future holds. As this wedding has been approaching I have been thinking how nice it would be to have someone who truly gets me and wants to be stuck with me for the rest of their life. Who knows, maybe by the end of the night you will all see me catching the bouquet!
13. [Bride,] you are a truly remarkable woman you only deserve the best when it comes to having a husband. And I promise you that I will get to the bottom of what has gone wrong here.
14. What is the difference between in-laws and out-laws? Out-laws are actually wanted!
15. How can I adequately describe [groom?] He is handsome, smart, very generous, and…I’m sorry, [groom] I can’t read this part that you wrote, you will have to tell me what it says later.
16. [Groom] is the kindest, most helpful guy that I know. He would do anything for his friends and family. In fact, he even wrote this part of the speech for me!
17. Hello everyone, I am [groom’s] best man. He asked me to stand here today and make a speech. I actually promised [groom] that I would not talk about anything controversial or embarrassing that has to do with him. So that being said, I thank you all for being here tonight and thank you for your time. *sits down*
18. I don’t know if anyone else has heard this story, but [groom] actually proposed to [bride] in a bar. It was actually quite romantic. He got up on one knee and everything.
19. It has been a very emotional day, hasn’t it? Even the beautiful wedding cake is in tiers.
20. So what is there for me to tell you about the groom? He is dashingly handsome, witty, generous, full of charisma, oh wait, sorry everyone, this speech is for a different wedding that I’m going to later. I knew I was talking about the wrong guy!
21. Now of course you all know that I am [groom’s] best man. But for those of you who don’t know how we met, it’s a great story that has made us the best of friends. We actually met for the first time by chance outside of the venue two hours ago, and he asked me to give this speech! He even gave me a hundred bucks to do it but hey, what are friends for?
22. So I know [groom] well as a family member and friend, but for perspective on what he is like as a work colleague, I decided to acquaint myself with some of his co-workers to get a sense of what he is like at the workplace. It turns out that his nickname at work is “The God,’ because it is a complete miracle if he gets anything done!
23. Wise beyond his years, dashingly handsome, full of charm, and extremely generous, a man who many people here admire and adore. But enough about me, I am here to talk about the groom.
24. Hello everyone, I am the best man and I am here to talk about the groom. My parents always told me that if I don’t have anything nice to say, then it is sometimes better to not say anything at all. *Sits down*
25. On their very first date, [groom] wooed [bride] by promising to treat her to a delicious seven course meal. She wasn’t too pleased when it turned out to be a burger and a six pack of beer.
26. Good evening, family and friends of the bride and groom. I am proud to preside over the only 5 minutes of this wedding that the bride did not plan.
27. Watching the bride walk down the aisle today, I think I am not alone when I say that she looked absolutely stunning. The groom, meanwhile, looked absolutely stunned.
28. Hello, everyone. I am the groom’s best man. That, of course, means that one of my responsibilities is giving a speech here tonight. I have been very nervous about it, but not to worry, the groom has assured me that our friendship will continue depending on how well I do tonight.
29. I have to say that I am not sure why they call it being the Best Man. If I am the Best Man, then why is [groom] the one who got to get married?
30. This part of my speech requires some participation from the bride and groom. [Bride,] I am going to ask you to place your hand on this table. [Groom,] now put your hand on top of hers. I hope you enjoyed that because it is the last time in this marriage that you are going to have the upper hand.
31. I would like to inform you all that tonight, we won’t have to worry about [groom’s] ex-girlfriends showing up at this wedding unannounced. In fact, I have just found out that they are all out celebrating.
32. There are two things that a man can never hide: the fact that he is drink and the fact that he is in love. From the day [groom] fell in love, we all knew it and we were so happy for him.
33. There is a funny saying about marriage. At the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond. But by the end of it, you will find yourself wishing that you had a club and a spade. But looking at [bride] and [groom,] I know that all they will ever need is each other.
34. They say that marriage is the lasting commitment made between two grown-ups, but what marriage really is is the process of adopting an overgrown male child whose parents can no longer handle or take care of him. So congratulations, [groom.] And tough luck, [bride.]
35. I love weddings, they’re always really fun. There was one wedding were I had a speech prepared. I asked all of the married men in the room to stand next to the person who has made their life worth living. Unfortunately, the bartender nearly got crushed to death. So I’m not going to do that ever again. You’re welcome, bartender.
36. So as the Best Man at this wedding I know my place. You see, being a Best Man at a wedding is sort of like being the dead body at the funeral. Sure, you are expected to be there. But goodness forbid you start to say too much, because if you do, then all the guests will start to freak out.
37. Good evening, all. As you all may have figured out by now, I am the Best Man at this wedding.
38. Hi everyone, I am [bride] and [groom’s] Best Man. And as you all know, for somebody to be a Best Man, they must be reliable, good-lucking, organized, charming, and funny. And yes, for those of you who are wondering, I am single and still looking. Anyone who is interested can give their number to [groom] and I will be in touch.
But enough about little old me, we are all here for the wedding of [bride] and [groom,] two very special people who happened to fall in love.
39. I have been asked by [bride] and [groom] to be the Best Man for this wedding. Now, this decision was no shock to me as I have known [bride] and [groom] for many years. Throughout the years I have seen them make some great decisions, but tonight I wanted to congratulate them on the best decision that they have made in their entire lives, which is making me their Best Man!
40. Marriages are made in heaven. But so are thunder, hail, and tornadoes. I am only joking. Anyone who has seen [bride] and [groom] together knows that they were destined to be husband and wife.
41. I just want to congratulate [bride] and [groom] on such a lovely wedding ceremony and for finally tying the knot. But [groom,] I want you to know that when [bride] said “I do,” that does not mean that she agrees to do all of the household laundry and dishes for the rest of your lives. Trust me.
42. A real marriage begins when man and wife become one. The trouble is deciding which one the two of you will become. This is where a good old-fashioned arm wrestling match will come in handy.
43. So [bride] and [groom] have finally tied the knot. Or as I, a video gaming nerd like to call it: Game Over.
44. [Bride] and [groom,] I just wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your marriage. And I also wanted to ask [bride]: do you have any friends that might take a chance on a lonely, handsome bachelor such as myself?
45. While I am the Best Man, [groom] is really like a brother to me. So I wanted to have the chance to say: [bride,] you take good care of him. The guy is sweet and generous, but if you make him cook his own food, there is no way that he will be able to last the year.
Religious Best Man Speeches
46. There is a saying that I learned over the years. It goes something like this: seek a godly man, a man who places Christ at the center of his life. As someone who has known the groom for years, I can firmly say that this is how he lives his life.
47. I would like to thank the bride and groom for asking me to be the Best Man for their wedding. It has truly been an honor and a blessing. As the two of you newlyweds embark on your new life together as husband and wife, I want you to remember this: God is love, and whoever dwells in love also dwells in God.
48. [Groom,] if you remember anything in your marriage it should be this: remember to always love your wife as much as Christ loved the church. Give unto your wife that same eternal devotion.
49. Contrary to popular belief, marriage takes three. Sure, it takes the husband and wife to make a marriage work and last. But it also takes a commitment to God to strengthen that marriage and see it through the good times and bad. And knowing these two, I am confident that they are more than ready for the adventure that lies in marriage. Just remember this, [bride] and [groom,] the closer you move toward God, the closer you move towards each other.
50. To [bride] and [groom,] my wish for you is that your marriage is incredibly blessed. Let us all raise a glass to the happy newlyweds.
Best Man Speeches For Brother
51. Only the best brothers in the world get promoted to Best Man.
52. Being my brother, [groom] has been such a huge influence in my life. He has taught me so much. So you will have to forgive me if my speech isn’t all that funny. I get my sense of humor from my brother.
53. Hello, everyone. For those of you who don’t know me, I am the Best Man and I am also [groom’s] younger brother. Growing up, I was kind of [groom’s] shadow. I wanted to do everything he wanted to do and be everything that he wanted to be. And even now, knowing that he got to marry the girl of his dreams today, he will always be someone that I will continue to look up to no matter how old we get. I know that [groom] and [bride] will be so happy together. Let us all raise a glass to this new chapter in their life together.
54. I am the Best Man at this wedding, though most of you know me as [groom’s] big brother. Ever since he was born, I wanted to protect my little brother and take care of him. When I met [bride,] I knew that my little brother was in good hands. Thank you, [bride,] for making [groom’s] complete. I know that you will take good care of him. Cheers to the bride and groom.
55. Hi, everyone, I am the Best Man. [Groom] is many things to me: a brother, a best friend, a confidante, and someone that I could always rely on. I can count on him to make me laugh, see me through hard times, and we have made so many great memories together over the years. I am honored that I got to stand next to you today as you exchanged your vows with [bride.] That will go down in my memory as one of my favorite memories of you, because you got to marry the woman you love.
I am so proud of you, my brother, and I wish you and [bride] many amazing adventures in this new life that you have built together.
Check out our Wedding Toast Examples.
56. [Groom,] as your Best Man as brother I feel like I have a certain duty to you. Sure, I helped you plan for the wedding, threw you a bachelor party, and helped you pick out a tuxedo. I even helped make sure you got to the wedding on time. But I think I should share with you a few tips about married life.
Marriage is not easy. It is a compromise. Sometimes you will have to say that you’re sorry and you won’t always get things your way. But at the same time, being married to the love of your life also means getting to spend the rest of your life with your best friend. Being married can truly be a blessing and I hope that this marriage blesses you and [bride] in the same way that it has bene a blessing for me and my wife. Let us all raise a glass to the newlyweds.
57. My brother, my best friend, so dear to my heart.
Growing up, were never apart.
But the years have gone by and now we are grown.
And you have happily found a love of your own.
When I look at you and your chosen mate,
You’re perfect together, it’s like it was fate.
What was once two people has now become one,
And I know that you will have lots of fun.
As years go by, as man and wife,
I know you will have an amazing life.
58. When I was a little boy, God blessed me with a brother, who you all know as [groom.] He was my best friend, my little buddy who I was always very protective of. Having a brother was the best and we had some great times together, with occasionally some arguments and tears. But I really have been truly blessed to have my brother in my life. And now that [bride] is a part of our family as of today, I feel even more blessed to be able to call her my sister. Welcome to the family, [bride,] I hope that we make you feel welcome and like you are a part of the clan.
59. I always thought that having a brother was enough for me. I was very content to have my playmate and partner in crime throughout the years. But now that I have gotten to know [bride,] I am glad to have a sister in the mix as well. As I like to say, the more the merrier.
60. There is a saying that when you look at your life, the greatest sources of happiness are the ones that come from family. I can personally attest to that. From our parents to my brother [groom,] I have to say that some of my happiest memories come from family. And today, a new family was made when [bride] and [groom] tied the knot.
[Bride] and [groom,] you were lovebirds and now that you are husband and wife, you are each other’s family. Congratulations to the two of you as you continue down the happy road of matrimony.