To be betrayed by a person you fully trust is probably the most heartbreaking thing anyone can experience. Recovering from it may take a while or may affect your future judgments in meeting new people. What makes it hurtful is the fact that our trust was violated by someone we never knew could do such a thing.
Betrayal may come in a form of cheating, abuse, and being taken advantage of by a person we hold dear to our heart. Although most of the times we are unaware of the betrayal, there are also times we know about it but we choose to ignore it. We want to pretend that it never happened because we don’t like confrontations and we’re afraid to get our feelings hurt. Regardless of how we handle it, one thing is for sure; betrayal is never okay.
Relationships such as marriage, friendships, and family are usually the ones who experience betrayal. Eventually, these relationships fall apart because not everyone is strong enough to deal with being lied to or being backstabbed. It is very rare to have the heart to forgive after you go through it.
If you’re one of those who was betrayed by the person you love, don’t worry, take your time to breathe, think, and recover from it. It may sound cliché, but time does heal all wounds. On the other hand, if you’re a person who has betrayed someone in the past, it’s not too late to change your ways. Learn from your mistakes and become a better person this time around.
We would like to give you these inspirational betrayal quotes to show you the many faces of betrayal and to let you know that other people have gone through the same situations and recover from it, you can too!
1. Love and marriage are wonderful arenas in which to place a character. We are most likely to risk our morals and beliefs while in love. Betrayal gives tremendous insights into a character as well. – Anita Shreve
2. Familial betrayal is, to me, the most heartbreaking kind – because if you can’t trust your family to love you and protect you, who can you really trust? – Alexandra Bracken
3. People are always fascinated by infidelity because, in the end – whether we’ve had direct experience or not – there’s part of you that knows there’s absolutely no more piercing betrayal. People are undone by it. – Junot Diaz
4. Tragedy in life normally comes with betrayal and compromise, and trading on your integrity and not having dignity in life. That’s really where failure comes. – Tom Cochrane
5. We have to distrust each other. It is our only defense against betrayal. – Tennessee Williams
6. Naturally, when one makes progressive steps, there may be some who see it as a betrayal of their goals and interests. – Louis Farrakhan
7. Betrayal is the only truth that sticks. – Arthur Miller
8. I had to take false steps and go through hard times to come out to where I am now. I can’t imagine living without acting. It’s not easy, and I don’t disrespect anyone who steps out of it after a certain point. Having a family and a house is cool. It’s not a betrayal. But if you’re going to be an actor, it has to be more than a passing interest. – Marylouise Burke
9. He that has eyes to see and ears to hear may convince himself that no mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore. – Sigmund Freud
10. The three touchstones that woke Buddha up – sickness, old age, and death – are a pretty good place to start when crafting a tragic tale. And if we need to get more specific: heartbreak, destruction, miscomprehension, natural disasters, betrayal, and the waste of human potential. – Paul Di Filippo
11. Don’t be sorry I trusted you. My mistake, not yours.
12. Cheating is directly linked to lack of intelligence, insecurity, low self-esteem, and an overall sense of unhappiness with one’s own life.
13. Trust can be lost within seconds, takes a lifetime to regain, and is never as strong again afterward.
14. Even the people who betray you are part of the plan. Jesus couldn’t get t the cross without Judas.
15. Betrayal is common for men with no conscience.
16. You want to believe that there’s one relationship in life that’s beyond betrayal. A relationship that’s beyond that kind of hurt. And there isn’t. – Caleb Carr
17. I have never known a more vulgar expression of betrayal and deceit. – Lucien Bouchard
18. Love is understood, in a historical way, as one of the great human vocations – but its counterspell has always been infidelity. This terrible, terrible betrayal that can tear apart not only another person, not only oneself, but whole families. – Junot Diaz
19. Love is whatever you can still betray. Betrayal can only happen if you love. – John le Carre
20. I could become very rich in Guatemala but by the low method of ratifying my title, opening a clinic, and specializing in allergies. To do that would be the most horrible betrayal of the two ‘I’s’ struggling inside me: the socialist and the traveler. – Che Guevara
21. For me, I always wonder what’s worse: an emotional betrayal or a physical betrayal? That’s a really tough call. – Hilarie Burton
22. The fear really hits you. That’s what you feel first. And then it’s the anger and frustration. Part of the problem is how little we understand about the ultimate betrayal of the body when it rebels against itself. – Charles Bronson
23. The male, for all his bravado and exploration, is the loyal one, the one who generally feels love. The female is skilled at betrayal and torture and damnation. – Charles Bukowski
24. The problem is that everywhere the gas drilling industry goes, a trail of water contamination, air pollution, health concerns and betrayal of basic American civic and community values follows. – Josh Fox
25. Muhammad is more human, more self-doubting, even self-tortured at times. His story is full of adventure, intrigue, betrayal. – Deepak Chopra
26. Rather than writing about international events, I write about individual lives. There is elation and sadness, death and birth, love and jealousy, co-operation and betrayal. All the great emotional transactions that happen wherever people come together. – Tom Drury
27. The Bible is very resonant. It has everything: creation, betrayal, lust, poetry, prophecy, sacrifice. All great things are in the Bible, and all great writers have drawn from it and more than people realize, whether Shakespeare, Herman Melville or Bob Dylan. – Patti Smith
28. It’s particularly hard to take being stabbed in the back close to home. There’s always a feeling of betrayal when people of your own group oppose you. – Catharine MacKinnon
29. Is it possible to succeed without any act of betrayal? – Jean Renoir
30. There are only really a few stories to tell in the end, and betrayal and the failure of love is one of those good stories to tell. – Sean Lennon
31. Tales of power and ambition and intrigue and betrayal and desire – when you’re telling those in a big way, you automatically want to go to Shakespeare. – Beau Willimon
32. Anyone who hasn’t experienced the ecstasy of betrayal knows nothing about ecstasy at all. – Jean Genet
33. Betrayal is my favorite subject. – Norman Jewison
34. There are only really a few stories to tell in the end, and betrayal and the failure of love is one of those good stories to tell. – Sean Lennon
35. When I was 15, I made a solo record. It made Artie very unhappy. He looked upon it as something of a betrayal. – Paul Simon
36. You see that’s what I think is such a terrible, terrible betrayal, the trust that people have in government. – Ralph Steadman
37. When marketers influence habits, they influence peoples’ self-identity. And so when a group or company does something that doesn’t correspond to our core values, it feels like a betrayal. – Charles Duhigg
38. Poor people and working people have not been the focus of the Obama administration. That for me is not just a disappointment but a kind of betrayal. – Cornel West
39. For too long, musicians have been the greatest enemy of music. Their lack of desire to proselytize is a kind of betrayal. – Charles Hazlewood
40. When you’re out of sight for as long as I was, there’s a funny feeling of betrayal that comes over people when they see you again. – Esther Williams
41. The issue of the Betrayal was so central to that, I felt the need to comment upon it. My choices were to ignore the games and put them ‘outside’ of continuity or to integrate them. I chose the latter. – Raymond E. Feist
42. I go to movies expecting to have a whole experience. If I want a movie that doesn’t end, I’ll go to a French movie. That’s a betrayal of trust to me. A movie has to be complete within itself; it can’t just build off the first one or play variations. – Joss Whedon
43. Slavery was the betrayal of the American Promise at the moment that promise was made. – Steve Erickson
44. Deep down, my mom had long suspected I was gay. Much of her anger and hurt came from her sense of betrayal that she was the last to be told. – Chaz Bono
45. It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend. – William Blake
46. “It was a mistake”, you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you. – David Levithan
47. I used to advertise my loyalty and I don’t believe there is a single person I loved that I didn’t eventually betray. – Albert Camus
48. Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you. – Sherrilyn Kenyon
49. “I knew they would kill me when they found out but”, he struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” – Marissa Meyer
50. If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind. – Shannon L. Alder
51. It’s hard to tell who has your back, from who has it long enough just to stab you in it. – Nicole Richie
52. Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime. – Mineko Iwasaki
53. To me, the thing that is worse than death is betrayal. You see, I could conceive death, but I could not conceive betrayal. – Malcolm X
54. I could never hurt him enough to make his betrayal stop hurting. And it hurts, in every part of my body. – Veronica Roth
55. If you’re betrayed, release disappointment at once. By that way, the bitterness has no time to take root. – Toba Beta
56. The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend. – Heather Brewer
57. You are going to break your promise. I understand. And I hold my hands over the ears of my heart, so that I will not hate you. – Catherynne M. Valente
58. A true gentleman is one that apologizes anyways, even though he has not offended a lady intentionally. He is in a class all of his own because he knows the value of a woman’s heart. – Shannon L. Alder
59. Do you believe a man can truly love a woman and constantly betray her? Never mind physically but betray her in his mind, in the very “poetry of his soul”. Well, it’s not easy but men do it all the time. – Mario Puzo
60. Betrayal is common for men with no conscience. – Toba Beta
61. Confession is not betrayal. What you say or do doesn’t matter; only feelings matter. If they could make me stop loving you-that would be the real betrayal. – George Orwell
62. We met less than a week ago and in that time I’ve done nothing but lie and cheat and betray you. I know. But if you give me a chance…all I want is to protect you. To be near you. For as long as I’m able. – Marissa Meyer
63. I’m not really sure why. But do you stop loving someone just because they betray you? I don’t think so. That’s what makes the betrayal hurt so much – pain, frustration, anger… and I still loved her. I still do. – Brandon Sanderson
64. It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them. – Confucius
65. When no one you know tells the truth, you learn to see under the surface. – Cassandra Clare
66. Betrayal is never easy to handle and there is no right way to accept it. – Christine Feehan
67. It’s effortless to let go of self-absorbed people. It’s challenging to let go of someone you care about and it’s exceedingly difficult to let go of an ideal and a belief in someone because what exacerbates the disappointment of finding out they weren’t who they presented themselves to be, is the betrayal of it. – Donna Lynn Hope
68. Even as your body betrays you, your mind denies it. – Sara Gruen
69. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, I deserved to get fucked over. – Derekica Snake
70. Pride had kept her running when love had betrayed her. – Susan Elizabeth Phillips
71. The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.
72. Some people aren’t loyal to you. They are loyal to their need of you. Once their needs change, so does their loyalty.
73. Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you.
74. Not telling me something or hiding something on purpose is just the same as lying.
75. You’re not sorry you did it, you’re sorry I found out.
76. The worst feeling is feeling unwanted by the person you want the most.
77. Love comes to those who still hope after disappointment, who still believe after betrayal and who still love after they’ve been hurt.
78. The problem is you still don’t think that you did anything to hurt me.
79. It’s like one day you flipped a switch and became someone I never knew.
80. Better to have an enemy who slaps you in the face than a friend who stabs you in the back.
81. You made me feel that you really like me. And then you just left, just like it was nothing.
82. You gotta leave before you get left.
83. Sometimes the person you’d take a bullet for ends up being the one behind the gun.
84. I was torn between holding o to what you promised and accepting the reality of you not being able to deliver. – R.H Sin
85. If you didn’t see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears.
86. Don’t invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth.
87. Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story.
88. That’s the end of their part in your story.
89. You can’t fix yourself while holding on to the person who broke you. – R.H Sin
90. Why would you do that to me after I gave you everything that I had?
91. Realizing that the one person who you told everything to, was actually hiding everything from you.
92. Don’t play the victim to the circumstances you created.
93. Have you ever been so disappointed that you don’t believe anyone anymore?
94. Sleeping alone is better than sharing your bed with someone who shares their bed with someone else when you’re not around.
95. If you show me you don’t give a f..ck, I’ll show you that I’m better at it.
96. If you spend too long holding on to the one who treats you like an option, you’ll miss finding the one who treats you like a priority.
97. And that was the thing about her. She kept on surviving with bullet holes in her lungs, and knife marks itched in her back. She never let anything get in her way. Resilient, a fighter, not by choice but a warrior by heart. – K.A
98. I reward loyalty with loyalty and disloyalty with distance.
99. What hurts more than losing you is knowing you’re not fighting to keep me.
100. She’s in love with the way he used to be. She’s in love with the person he never truly was. – R.H Sin
101. Most people cheat because they’re paying more attention to what they’re missing rather than what they have.
102. Cheat on a Leo and you lose a King and Queen that would have given you the world if you asked for it.
103. Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you meant what you promised. Silly me.
104. If another woman steals your man, there’s no better revenge than letting her keep him. Real men can’t be stolen.
105. Once you realize you deserve better, letting go will be the best decision ever.
106. Something I learned about people; if they do it once, they’ll do it again.
107. The hardest part about walking away from someone is the part where you realize that, no matter how slowly you go, they will never run after you.
108. Once you have really hurt someone, it will always be in the back their mind even if they still have a smile on their face.
109. When someone betrays you, it is the reflection of their character, not yours.
110. The biggest mistake I made in life is trusting one person who has betrayed me multiple times. I wish I wasn’t this nice.
111. Sometimes you gotta play the fool, to fool the fool, who thinks they’re fooling you.
112. Friends are supposed to be there for you when you cry, not the reason you cry.
113. I will remember and recover, not forgive and forget.
114. It’s not the future you are afraid of. It’s the fear of the past repeating itself that haunts you. – T.W.W
115. Never apologize for trusting your intuition – your brain can play tricks, your heart can be blind, but your gut is always right.
116. Some people are willing to betray years of friendship just to get a little bit of the spotlight.
117. The worst kind of hurt is betrayal. Because it means someone was willing to hurt you just to make themselves feel better.
118. If you get that gut feeling that something isn’t right about a person or situation, trust it.
119. Stop swimming across oceans for people who won’t jump a puddle for you.
120. Forgiveness doesn’t excuse their behavior. Forgiveness prevents their behavior from destroying your heart.
121. True love and loyal friends are two of the hardest things to find.
122. You knew what you were doing and you know it would hurt me but somehow that still didn’t stop you.
123. There’s only so many times you can allow someone to let you down before you can’t handle the disappointment anymore.
124. Don’t tell me what they said about me. Tell me why they were so comfortable to say it around you.
125. If you have to pretend I am a crapper person so you don’t feel guilty about all the crappy things you’ve done to me, then so be it. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just know, your delusions will never change my reality.
126. Never underestimate the power of my intuition. I can recognize your game before you ever play it.
127. Relationships take two people. Not one person being faithful, and another acting single.
128. Remembering a past situation can provoke a person to feel the exact emotions that were attached to that specific memory.
129. Three things cannot be long hidden; the sun, the moon, and the truth. – Confucius
130. Abusers are able to fool those outside the home because they usually only abuse those inside the home.
131. There comes a time when silence is betrayal. – MLK
132. How did I ever give someone the power to f..ck me up this bad?
133. Remember that sociopath wears a mask of sanity. It is easier for them to make you out to be crazy- than it is for you to expose the reality of who they are.
134. There is nothing more painful than the times when your paranoia turns out to be perfectly working intuition.
135. Breaking someone’s trust is like crumpling a perfect piece of paper.
136. You can smooth it over but it’s never going to be the same again.
137. Forgive yourself for the blindness that put you in the path of those who betrayed you. Sometimes a good heart doesn’t see the bad.
138. If there’s one thing that a Taurus can’t stand, it’s betrayal.
139. It was never my enemies I had to watch out for. It was the ones screaming I love you.
140. You stabbed me then pretend you were the one who was bleeding.
141. After a breakup, the loyal one stays single and deals with the damages until healed. The other one is already in another relationship.
142. Never believe a liar’s “truth”, a cheater’s “answers”, or a player’s love.
143. Betrayal does that betrays the betrayer. – Erica Jong
144. The betrayal of trust carries a heavy taboo. – Aldrich Ames
145. Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie. – Terry Goodkind
146. When you betray somebody else you also betray yourself. – Isaac Bashevis Singer
147. There is no greater blessing than a family hand that lifts you from a fall; but there is not lower curse than a family hand that strikes you when you’re down. – Wes Fessler