A first date comes with a lot of pressure. How do you make sure that you and your date will have a good time? What if there are long, awkward pauses in your conversation? How do you keep the mood going?
Having a good handful of first date questions to ask can help you on your first date. When it comes to asking a question on the first date, it is nice to have some variety in your topics. If you only limit your questions to one or two specific topics, then that might bore your date.
Below, there are first date questions that range from questions about your date’s personality and childhood to questions about their interests in various areas including food and films.
While these questions are meant to be helpful for your first date, you should not try to memorize a list of them and you should not feel obligated to stick to only the questions that are listed below. The conversation in your date should feel organic and not forced, so just use the questions to give you some ideas here and there.
You might be wondering what the point of all these questions is. Aside from giving you and your date something to talk about, these questions will give you a chance to learn more about your date. Your date’s answers might also help you find out whether or not you are compatible.
When asking some of the questions below, consider the timing and appropriateness. If you have had some conversations with your date before, then you can dive into some of the more personal questions such as the ones about past relationships as well as questions about a potential future relationship. However, if this is the first real conversation that you are having, then you might want to stick to more light topics first.
It is important to read the cues that your date will give off. If their body language is very relaxed and if they are really opening up to you, then it will be easier to dive into more personal topics. If they are not opening up yet, then do not rush or force the discussion of certain topics and keep things less deeply personal at first.
This does not mean that you cannot ask any personal questions. After all, you will still want to get to know your date. You can ask questions about your date’s personality, their favorite and least favorite things, and other topics that are less likely to delve into a more serious conversation.
Read the first date questions below and pick a small handful of them to keep in mind when you have your date. But above all, be yourself and have fun.
First Date Questions
1. Do you like this place? (Where the date is)
2. Have you been here before? Do you come here often?
3. What is something that you like to do when you have free time?
4. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
5. What are two truths and a lie about you?
6. Do you prefer hanging out indoors or outdoors?
7. What would you be doing right now if you were a millionaire?
8. What are you best known for?
9. What is your least favorite household chore?
10. Are you good with technology?
11. Are you good at fixing things?
12. If you had the day off tomorrow, what would you do?
13. What is one thing that you cannot leave the house without?
14. Would you want to be famous one day?
15. What is something that you like to splurge on?
16. What is an unusual talent or skill that you have?
17. Have you ever broken a bone?
18. What is the most fun place in your neighborhood?
19. What is something that you have been wanting to learn but have not yet had the chance to do?
20. What is one thing that you have taught yourself how to do?
21. Do you like to go on long walks?
22. Do you like the beach?
23. Are you more of a type A or type B personality?
24. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
25. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
26. When you are not working and you are not at home, where do you spend most of your time?
27. Where would you like to retire?
28. Do you like to dance?
29. Do you like to sing?
30. Could you live without your phone for 24 hours?
31. What is one of your favorite quotes?
32. What are some of the nicknames that you have been given?
33. What is one thing that you could spend the whole day talking about?
34. Do you like to work out?
35. Are you a part of any religion?
36. Do you believe in a God?
37. Who did you vote for?
38. Do you live alone?
39. If you have roommates? If so, do you get along with them?
40. Do you have any crazy roommate stories?
41. What is your zodiac sign?
42. What is one thing that you would like to see be invented in 20 years?
43. Are you into social media?
44. Who is one celebrity that you follow on social media?
45. Do you like sports?
46. What is one thing that is on your bucket list?
47. Do you make your bed in the morning?
48. What is the most awkward thing that has happened to you recently?
49. When is your birthday?
50. Do you have anything fun planned for this weekend?
51. Off the top of your head, what is the last thing that you searched on Google?
52. Do you have any tattoos or piercings?
53. If you could get a tattoo, what would it be and where would it be?
54. Have you ever dyed your hair?
55. How was your day?
56. Do you like to go out on the weekends or do you prefer to stay at home?
57. Do you know what your Myers-Brigg personality type is?
58. Would you rather be rich or famous?
59. Do you have any allergies?
60. Do you smoke?
61. Do you collect anything?
62. What is something that I would never guess about you?
63. What do you like most about living here?
64. What has been the best or most significant year of your life so far?
65. What are your favorite sports?
66. What did you do last weekend?
67. What is one of your biggest pet peeves?
68. What are some of your quirks?
69. Do you drive?
70. What was your first car?
71. What is the craziest hairstyle you have had?
72. What is something that people get wrong about you?
73. Have you ever made and kept a New Year’s resolution?
74. Is there anything that you are saving up for right now?
75. What is one thing that you are worse at than most of the population?
76. What is the most spontaneous thing that you have ever done?
77. What are you better at than most of the population?
78. What is one of your proudest achievements?
79. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
80. What would you say is your greatest strength?
81. Who are the most important people in your life?
82. Do you like surprises?
83. Do you consider yourself to be independent?
84. What is the best present that you have ever received?
85. Have you ever broken a bone?
86. If you could go back in time, what is one thing that you would change about your life?
87. What is your favorite color?
88. Do you consider yourself to be a competitive person?
89. Do you follow politics?
90. Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
91. What would you say is your biggest weakness?
92. What are 3 words that describe you?
93. If you could rule the whole world, what is one thing that you would change?
94. Are you more of a formal or more casual dresser?
95. Do you prefer spontaneity or fixed routines?
96. Do you like to play video games?
97. Do you like karaoke?
98. When your alarm rings in the morning, do you get up right away or do you hit the snooze button?
99. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
100. Do you like rollercoasters?
101. Are you ticklish?
102. Where do you feel most relaxed?
103. Who are three people that you would invite to a dinner party, dead or alive?
104. Can you do any accents?
105. Do you speak more than one language?
106. Do you like or dislike public speaking?
107. Do you have any phobias?
108. Which 3 fictional characters most closely fit your personality?
109. What is the last book that you read?
110. How often do you read?
111. What is the last book that you really enjoyed reading?
112. Who is your favorite author?
113. Did you have a favorite book growing up?
114. What is your favorite book genre?
115. If you wrote a book, what genre would it be?
116. What would the name of your book be?
117. What would the name of your autobiography be?
Films and TV
118. What is the last movie that you saw?
119. When is the last time that you went to a movie theater?
120. What is your favorite movie theater snack?
121. Do you have a favorite actor or actress?
122. What is your favorite movie of all time?
123. What is one popular movie that you just did not like?
124. What is the last TV show that you binge-watched?
125. What is a TV show that you have been watching lately?
126. What is your favorite TV show?
127. What is your favorite film and TV genre?
128. Do you watch reality TV?
129. Do you prefer to watch TV or movies?
130. What is one movie that you have seen more than once?
131. Do you like action movies? What about comedy, horror, romantic comedies, thrillers, and dramas?
132. Do you like to watch foreign films?
133. What is your favorite genre of music?
134. What is the best concert that you have ever been to?
135. What is the last concert that you went to?
136. What was your first concert?
137. What kind of music did you listen to growing up?
138. Have you ever crowd surfed?
139. What was your craziest concert experience?
140. What was your most disappointing concert?
141. Who is your favorite musical artist?
142. What is the last song that you remember playing?
143. What is one song that you cannot stop playing lately?
144. What is one song that you really like to dance to?
145. Do you play any instruments?
146. Do you like to sing?
147. Do you sing in the shower?
148. Have you ever performed in front of a crowd?
Food and drink
149. What would your last meal on Earth be?
150. What is your favorite kind of cuisine?
151. What is the best meal that you have ever had?
152. What is one food that you really do not like?
153. What is your favorite restaurant?
154. What is your favorite alcoholic drink?
155. What is your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
156. Do you like to cook?
157. What is your favorite thing to cook?
158. Do you prefer eating out or cooking at home?
159. Do you like to order delivery and takeout?
160. What toppings would be on your perfect pizza pie?
161. What is the most unusual thing that you have ever eaten?
162. What is the most expensive thing that you have ever eaten?
163. What is your least favorite ice cream flavor?
164. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
165. Do you have a favorite fast food place?
166. Do you like to eat healthy?
167. What is one thing that you cooked that you were really proud of?
168. Do you like coffee or tea?
169. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
170. What kind of toppings do you put on your ice cream?
171. Do you prefer a burger or a cheeseburger?
172. How do you like your coffee?
173. What is your favorite kind of cookie?
174. When you are eating out, do you like to order the same thing, or do you like to try something new?
175. Do you like fast food?
176. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
177. What is in your freezer?
178. What is in your fridge?
179. What is your favorite pantry staple?
180. Is there a signature drink that you like to make?
181. If you cook, what is one of your favorite spices to use?
182. Do you use recipes or do you just make things up as you go along when you cook?
183. Do you want to try some of my dish?
184. Is there something that you do not eat?
185. What is your favorite thing to cook?
186. Do you own any specialty cooking dishes?
187. What is your favorite cooking gadget?
188. What is your least favorite vegetable?
189. How did you meet your best friend?
190. How long have you known your oldest friend?
191. Do you have more guy friends or girl friends?
192. Are you the goofy one or the serious one in your group of friends?
193. Are you a member of any meetup groups?
194. Would you rather have a lot of casual friends or just a few very close friends?
195. What is one thing that your friends always count on you for?
196. If I met your friends, what is the most embarrassing story about you that they would tell me?
197. How would your friends describe you?
198. What do you and your friends do together for fun?
199. What is your favorite thing about your best friend?
200. Do you have any pets?
201. What is the first pet that you had?
202. What was the name of your first pet?
203. Do you prefer cats or dogs?
204. Are you afraid of spiders?
205. Are you afraid of snakes?
206. What is your favorite animal?
207. If you could be any animal, what would you be?
208. What is the furthest place that you have traveled to?
209. What is the longest road trip that you have been on?
210. Which trip was your most favorite?
211. Would you rather get on a plane, a train, or a car to travel?
212. What would be your idea of a perfect vacation?
213. Have you ever been camping?
214. Have you ever gone on a cruise?
215. Have you ever done AirBnB?
216. What was your most favorite hotel to stay at and why?
217. Have you ever been out of the country?
218. Have you ever stayed at a hostel?
219. Do you have a favorite souvenir that you have brought back home from your travels?
220. When traveling to another country, do you like to explore by yourself or do you prefer to use a guide and go on tours?
221. What has been your most adventurous destination?
222. What is one country that you have visited that you would happily visit over and over again?
223. Do you like to visit the same places more than once?
224. What was your most favorite local trip?
225. Would you rather travel to a big city or to somewhere that is more situated in a natural landscape?
226. If you could move to any place in the world without risk of losing your job, where would you go?
227. Have you ever traveled alone?
228. When you go on vacation, do you plan out everything or do you tend to just go with the flow?
229. What is the worst trip that you have been on?
230. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
231. Are you closer to your mom or dad?
232. Who are you the closest to in your family?
233. How did your parents meet?
234. Where did your parents grow up?
235. What do your parents do?
236. Where is your family from?
237. Does your family have any special traditions?
238. Does your family get together for the holidays?
239. Do you have a favorite holiday tradition in your family?
240. Do you have a big family or a small one?
241. Does everyone in your family tend to live close to each other or is everyone more spread out?
242. Are you more like your mom or your dad?
243. Is there a member of your family that you really look up to?
244. Do you want kids one day?
245. Do you want a big family?
246. Have you ever taken a DNA ancestry test?
247. Does anyone in your family keep track of the family tree?
248. What is the most interesting thing that you learned about your family history?
249. What do you do?
250. Where do you work?
251. Do you like your job?
252. What are your work hours like?
253. What is your dream job?
254. What was your first job?
255. What was your worst job?
256. Where would you like your career to be 10 years from now?
257. What is the strangest job that you have had?
258. Would you say that you are career-driven?
259. Have you ever changed your career path?
260. How did you get started in your career?
261. Do you ever see yourself going back to school or switching careers?
262. What is your work schedule usually like?
263. Do you like your boss and your coworkers?
264. What is your favorite thing about your job?
265. What is one job that you could never see yourself doing?
266. How would you define success?
267. If you did not have to work, what would you do every day?
268. Where did you grow up?
269. What is your earliest childhood memory?
270. Where was your favorite place to hang out when you were growing up?
271. What were you like as a child?
272. What were you like as a teenager?
273. Did you belong to a specific scene in high school?
274. What was your favorite subject in school?
275. What was your least favorite subject in school?
276. Did you have any strange habits growing up?
277. Did you play an instrument when you were growing up?
278. Were you ever in a school play or musical?
279. What is the craziest trend that you went with when you were growing up?
280. Were you on any sports teams in high school?
281. What were some of your extracurricular activities?
282. Did you ever get detention at school?
283. Were you ever suspended from school?
284. Did you go to a public or private school?
285. Were you more of a nerd or one of the popular kids?
286. Did you have braces?
287. What was the first CD, record, or tape that you owned?
288. Did you ever get really lost as a child?
289. Did you ever go on family vacations?
290. What was your favorite childhood Halloween costume?
291. Who was your favorite teacher?
292. Who was your least favorite teacher?
293. What language did you study in high school?
294. Do you think that you have changed much since high school?
295. Did you go to school with anyone who is now famous?
296. Did you ever get in trouble with your parents?
297. What was your favorite age when you were growing up?
298. How did you meet your best childhood friends?
299. What is something that you used to do a lot as a kid?
300. Do you still keep in touch with your childhood friends?
301. What did you want to be growing up?
302. What was your yearbook quote?
303. What is one of your favorite childhood memories?
304. What was your favorite toy growing up?
305. Did you go to college?
306. What was your major in college?
307. Were you a member of a fraternity or sorority?
308. Were you active in campus life?
309. What is one thing that you wish you had known as a freshman?
310. Did you have a favorite professor in college?
311. What was your favorite course that you took in college?
312. Would you ever consider going back to school?
313. What is the worst pickup line that you have ever heard?
314. What is a pickup line that has worked for you?
315. Are you looking for a relationship or are you looking for something more casual?
316. What are you looking for in a relationship?
317. What is one quality that you find to be most attractive in a person?
318. What is the worst first date that you have ever been on?
319. What dating advice would you give your younger self?
320. What is your biggest pet peeve in a significant other?
321. How would you define a relationship?
322. How long have you been single?
323. What is the longest relationship that you have been in?
324. How old were you when you had your first crush?
325. Do you tend to chase after people or do other people tend to chase after you?
326. What made you want to go on a date with me?
327. When is the last time you went out on a date?
328. Are most of your friends single or are most of them married?
329. Have you ever tried online dating?
330. Do you have any dating apps?
331. Do you have a favorite dating app?
332. Have you ever been catfished?
333. Is it a deal breaker for you if your parents do not like your significant other?
334. Are you dating anyone else right now?
335. Do you believe in happily ever after?
336. What is one deal breaker for you in a romantic relationship?
337. How did your last relationship end?
338. Have you ever been married before?
339. Are you married?
340. Can I kiss you?
341. What is your idea of the perfect date?
342. What is your opinion on long distance dating?
343. Do you believe in the idea of soulmates?
To continue the date
344. How are you getting home after this?
345. Do you want to get drinks at a bar after this?
346. Do you want to grab a dessert or coffee somewhere else after this?
347. My friend is having a party that is not far from here. Are you interested in stopping by with me?
348. Can I walk you back to your home? (If the date lives nearby)
349. Are you up for a second date?