Are you looking for goodbye quotes to share on your social media, read aloud to yourself or someone else? You probably are going through a rough phase and need some words to help you heal or you simply need to find a subtle way to say goodbye to someone you care about, then you are at the right place as we have listed hundreds of goodbye quotes you can select from.
The quotes consist of short and longer versions but together they carry strong messages on leaving someone. Some of the quotes are from notable writers, poets, musicians, artists, politicians, and authors.
Indeed saying goodbye is a sad emotion and it usually comes with a heavy heart that’s why we have taken the initiative to compile a long list of goodbye quotes for those who are grieving with a heavy heart, either because they are scared of letting go or simply need goodbye messages to share with others.
Browse through the list below as we are certain you will find a handful of quotes you like.
1. Goodbye is the saddest word I ever heard, goodbye is the last time I will hold you near. – Celine Dion
2. Hellos are simple but goodbyes are complicated.
3. I find it difficult to say goodbye to you even when it seems like I am not welcomed.
4. It is time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I will rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure. – Ernie Harwell
5. When we adopt a dog or a pet, we know it is going to end with us having to say goodbye, but we still do it. And we do it for a very good reason. They bring so much joy and optimism and happiness. They attack every moment of every day with that attitude. – Bruce Cameron
6. Goodbye doesn’t mean the end. It only means that I will return or see you some other time. Take the sky, for example, the sun tells the sky goodbye when it gets dark only to return the next day once it is bright. – Frank Alile
7. You and I will meet again, when we least expect it, one day in a far-off place. I will recognize your face, I will not say goodbye my friend, for you and I will meet again. – Tom Petty
8. It is not easy to say goodbye to someone you don’t want to leave. – Frank Alile
9. I will prefer we stay together through the rain, under the sun. In summer and in winter than to say goodbye. For every moment with you gives me a feeling of being alive.
10. The story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye. – Jimi Hendrix
11. If you have nothing to say just shake my hand and say goodbye.
12. I prefer to hear you say see you soon that to hear you say goodbye. – Frank Alile
13. I am ready to say goodbye to you but I am not ready to hear you say it.
14. Goodbye..? Oh no, please. Can’t, we go back to page one and do it all over again?. – Winnie the Pooh
15. Sometime you to find the good in goodbye.
16. Don’t cry because it is over, smile because it happened.
17. How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. – Winnie the Pooh
18. Goodbye is the hardest thing to say to someone who means the world to you, especially when goodbye is not what you want.
19. I have had a happy life and thank the lord. Goodbye and may God bless you all. – Christopher McCandless
20. A man never knows when to say goodbye, a woman never knows when to say it. – Helen Rowland
21. Everyone can have their heart broken. Even if you know the relationship is not working. It is still sad. Even in a bad relationship, they are a part of your life for a long time, and saying goodbye to that can be difficult. – James Marsden
22. Don’t hesitate to say goodbye if it’s necessary for meeting again and again.
23. Saying goodbye to you is like saying goodbye to happiness in my life.
24. It hurts to say goodbye to someone who brings nothing but joy and happiness in your life.
25. Even if we cannot be together until the end, I am glad and grateful that you played a vital role in my life and I thank you for this.
26. The worst feeling is when you have to say goodbye to someone you wish to spend every minute with.
27. History never really says goodbye. History only says see you later. – Eduardo Galeano
28. We may not know what each day has in store for us. We could be gone tomorrow. Any minute could be our goodbye. But we do have this moment. This time. Today. Right now. It takes way more effort to shell out hate than it does to allow love to flow freely in our lives. After all, it is what we were born to do. – Grace Gealey
29. Don’t let the goodbyes hurt you instead think about the moments we spent together. – Frank Alile
30. You cannot live a life of only hellos, you must get used to goodbyes as well because one thing is constant in life and that’s change and you must learn to live with it. – Frank Alile
31. It hurts me to say goodbye to you, my love, I will take solace in the fact that tomorrow is another day and until then I will hold on to thoughts of you to keep my heart warm. – Stella Nwagbogwu
32. If you are brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello. – Paulo Coehlo
33. Thanks for the memories, I still hold on to them even after our goodbyes.
34. We often say goodbye to the person we love without wanting to do so. Although that doesn’t mean that we have stopped loving them or we have stopped to care. Sometimes goodbye is a painful way to say I love you.
35. We have said our goodbyes and gone our separate way but still, things haven’t changed, I still think about you every day, I hear your name mentioned in the crowd and I turn around to see if it’s you only for me to find out its someone else. I sometimes hear my phone ring and wish it’s you on the phone calling, calling to say you missed me.
36. A woman is mostly scared of saying hello if she is the shy type or she has experienced too many hellos end u in goodbyes.
37. Saying goodbye is a painful way of solving a problem.
38. Goodbye always makes my throat hurt. – Charlie Brown
39. At some point in your life, you realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.
40. Don’t hesitate to say goodbye to everything that is holding you back.
41. When we say goodbye with smiles on our face it is a sign that we know we will meet again but when goodbye come with tears it is a sign that we are uncertain that we will ever get to meet again.
42. Most times it’s not the goodbye that hurts it is the memories that fill our minds that releases the sea of emotions that follows.
43. I miss you once I hear the word goodbye from your lips.
44. Anyone with a heart, a family, has experienced loss. No one escapes unscathed. Every story of separation is different, but I think we all understand the basic, wretching emotion that comes from saying goodbye, not knowing if we will see that person again, or perhaps knowing that we will not. – Luanne Rice
45. The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said or explained.
46. There are a few things more painful than saying goodbye to someone or something you love. The idea of separation always gives us a sense of emptiness and desolation.
47. We fear goodbyes and barely know how to move on in a healthy way. Like the end of a story, goodbye asks us to forget the past and embrace the future, but this is easier said than done.
48. Every parting is a form of death as every reunion is a type of heaven.
49. Instead of focusing on goodbyes let us focus on the beautiful memories we shared and all the moments we cannot erase from our minds. In the beauty of the past lies the joy of the future.
50. These endings don’t always have to be forever, sometimes, after a painful goodbye, you can rejoice the next time you say hello.
51. The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we have lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we have found each other. And maybe each time, we have been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye to the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come. – Nicholas Sparks
52. You have changed me forever and I will never forget you. – Kiera Cass
53. Today, I close the door to my past. Open the door to the future, take a deep breath and step on through to start the next chapter of my life.
54. It feels right. But it is emotional. Saying goodbye to anything you have done that long is hard. – Angela Ruggiero
55. I have to say goodbye to things in order to take on bigger things that I have always wanted to do. – Mahershala Ali
56. And the relationships that happen become so intense, deep, involved and complex and really hard to say goodbye to. The hardest part of the show is saying goodbye when it is all done. It really breaks you. – Genevieve Gorder
57. When I go to a party, nobody says hello. But when I leave, everyone says goodbye. – George Gobel
58. It is hard to say goodbye to the streets. It is all how you do it. You can pass by and say ‘what’s happening?’ and keep it moving, but it is a certain element that will never be able to roll with you once you get to this level, because that is the separation of it all. – Snoop Dogg
59. Goodbye doesn’t mean the end, it does not say forever. It just means that we will soon meet again.
60. When I see you again I will say hello but for now, I leave with a warm goodbye.
61. It is hard to say how certain stories just punch us in the heart and the brain at the same time at the end. I suppose that is what we are all looking for. But each story has its own valence, its own way of saying goodbye to you. – T.C Boyle
62. Good friends never say goodbye they simply say “see you soon”.
63. Do well to enjoy the beauty of a sunset and enjoys nature goodbye kiss for the night.
64. Friendship is not always about who you have known the longest or who happens to care about you the best, it is about who came and never left.
65. My wish for you is that this life becomes all that you wish it to be. That your dreams stay big and your worries stay small. You never need to carry more than you can hold. And while you are out there getting to your destination. I hope you know someone loves you and wants the same things you want for yourself. This is my wish.
66. Love your parents and treat them with loving care, for you will only know their true worth when you get to see their empty chair.
67. Sometimes you have to give up on people, not because you do not care for them but because they do not care for themselves.
68. Someday you will get to see the reason why there is a good in goodbye.
69. I want to be your favorite hello and your most difficult goodbye.
70. Thank you for listening, thank you for aiding me. And now, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, I bid you goodbye and take my leave. – Frank Deford
71. It is always difficult to say goodbye, especially when one has spent a long time – literally years,, in this case of a series – inside a character or two, suffering and celebrating with them. – Lilith Saintcrow
72. As you say goodbye to lingering disappointments and unattended grief, you will discover that every person, situation and painful incident comes bearing gifts. – Debbie Ford
73. Could we see when and where we are to meet again, we would be more tender when we bid our friends goodbye. – Ouida
74. I have played the drums for so long, I cannot imagine saying goodbye to it. – Miguel Ferrer
75. When I say goodbye, promise me you will not cry, because the day I will be saying goodbye will be the day I die.
76. A memory last forever, never does it die, true friends stick together and never say goodbye.
77. Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair. – William Cowper
78. A goodbye is not painful unless you are never going to say hello again.
79. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave. – William Shakespear
80. Being strong sometimes means being able to let go.
81. Do not be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends. – Richard Bach
82. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. – Khalil Gibran
83. My breaking heart and I agree, that you and I could never be, so with my best … My very best, I set you free. – Rachel Yamagata
84. When I am brave enough to say goodbye I will use the wings you gave me and away I will fly. – Celia McMahon
85. Before you leave me again, tell me so I can let you know if I am ready to watch you go. – Donna M. Zadunajsky
86. We started here together and now we are leaving the same way, the funny thing is you never appreciate what you had yesterday until it is gone today.
87. When I had to say goodbye to you my love, it was like saying goodbye to my own life.
88. Nothing lasts forever. Forever is a lie. All we have is what’s in between hello and goodbye.
89. It is time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I would much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure. – Ernie Harwell
90. Say goodbye to all your troubles and worries today so you can say welcome to joy and life tomorrow. – Myke Blaze
91. When we said our hello it was a joyful mind, I could see the happiness in your eyes and the smile on your face now it is time for us to say goodbye and the atmosphere has become moody.
92. On the day I will say goodbye to this world I will like to be laid close to home and I mean not the place of my birth but the people who made living on earth a joyful experience.
93. We can’t stop saying goodbye each time we meet, I look forward to the day when we will not have to say goodbye, the day when you and I will be together forever till our dying days.
94. I will not give up on you because we have said our goodbyes, you can be sure that I will come running when you scream my name.
95. Before going I want you to know that I wish you to have the life that you want.
96. I can’t wait for the time when we will meet again, you are always in my thoughts.
97. We all wish you a successful path with our heart-warming goodbye.
98. Now I have to say goodbye, but it is very hard for me to do, so I would like to say nice to meet you. Nice to meet you again!
99. It is the emptiest and yet the fullest of all human messages: Good-bye. – Kurt Vonnegut
100. I did not think saying goodbye would be so hard. And with everything that is to come, we will face it together. To whatever end. – Sarah J.Maas
101. By and by we shall say goodbye. – Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
102. We started here together and now we are leaving the same way. The funny thing is you never appreciate what you had yesterday until it is gone today.
103. Even if you know that they are going to say goodbye you never really are prepared for what follows.
104. The power to say goodbye to failure and say welcome to success is in your hands.
105. I was so emotional. Choked up. I could hardly talk all day. I will be cleaning out my trailer and saying goodbye soon, realizing what a wonderful experience this has been. – Dennis Franz
106. The idea of forever is kind of ridiculous, which is unfortunate because it is kind of a nice thing to say, you know. I think it softens the blow of mortality and having to say goodbye to everything you know and everyone you love and all that kind of thing. – Conor Oberst
107. I believe that the freedom of speech should be protected, but so should a family’s right to privacy as they grieve their loss. There are a time and a place for vigorous debate on the war on terror, but during a family’s last goodbye is not it. – Dave Reichert
108. There is almost nothing more painful for a leader than seeing good people leave a growing organization, whether it is a priest watching a Sunday school teacher walk out the door or a CEO saying goodbye to a co-founder. – Patrick Lencioni
109. The retirement timing is always a tricky thing for a dancer. I think it is different for everyone. How you say goodbye to the thing you have really focused on that much is a tough one. I have always intended to leave in good shape, to exit on a high note. – Damian Woetzel
110. Goodbye brings a lot of hatred to whomever you say it to, this hurts, you feel, this must not repeat itself again.
111. Yesterday was the beginning, today is the present and tomorrow the future, we have said our hellos and hugged each other and are now friends, I hope we get to stay for long and not be in a hurry to say goodbye.
112. And all at once, you look across a crowded room, and you see old friends of yours and then suddenly you feel like you are seeing them for the first time, and that is when you discover that you will not be the same again.
113. They are no goodbye to you and me, wherever you go I will go and wherever you are, that is where I will be, for you will always be in my heart.
114. Goodbyes are meant for those who love with their eyes because for those who love with all of their heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.
115. If it was possible I will gather all the people I like in the world and we will live together under one roof. But I guess that will not work, someone will still leave. Someone has to always leave, that’s why we always have to say goodbye. To the people we love, but still, I hate goodbyes.
116. This is not goodbye. It is only the moment when we have to shut the door to the past to open the door to the future.
117. I have become more comfortable as time has gone on with saying goodbye because. I have been having so many conversations about the cyclical nature of life. It just keeps going. – Brie Larson
118. If you want to destroy the planet, you can kiss social justice goodbye. The earth comes first. – Douglas Tompkins
119. Civilization has given us enormous successes: going to the moon, technology. But then this is the civilization that took us into debt, environmental crisis, every single crisis. We need civilization where we say goodbye to these things. – Muhammad Yunus
120. I used to get quite upset that I would make friends with a guy or a girl and then within the space of three years we would move and go and live somewhere else, and you would have to say goodbye to that person. – Dominic Monaghan