While it is not at all mandatory, some grooms will sometimes give a speech at their wedding. Traditionally, the groom’s speech comes right before the best man’s speech. Here are a few tips and talking points to think about when you are writing your groom’s speech.
First of all, you should thank all of the guests for coming to celebrate with you and your bride on your special wedding day. Acknowledge the effort that people have put in from traveling far and wide to helping out with the wedding. Do not forget to thank your parents and the bride’s parents as well.
Last but not least, do not forget to talk about your bride. She is the whole reason that you have this wedding. Throwing in a compliment is a good idea, whether you are talking about her dazzling personality or how gorgeous she looks in her wedding dress.
And since you will be married already, you can now refer to her as your wife. Your guests will love it when you refer to her as your wife and they will love to see it if your speech is a little bit romantic.
While it is very thoughtful to thank and acknowledge the important people in your wedding speech, you also want to avoid doing that for too long as it will bore the guests. Of course, there is a long list of people who have helped to make your wedding a success and you might still want to find a way to thank them for contributing to your wedding.
People like your vendors and the people in your bridal party might not all need a mention. If you would like to thank them, you can do so privately in person or by writing them a Thank You note. When it comes to making acknowledgements in your groom’s speech, you should definitely remember to include your parents, the bride’s parents, and the bride at the very least.
If somebody will have a speech after yours, then you will want to introduce them to the guests. In most cases the person following you will be your best man. You can just briefly say who he is and what he means to you before handing over the microphone to him.
As much as you might like your best man, he is not the star of the wedding, so you can keep his introduction nice and simple. If you go into a long story about the two of you, it might bore the guests.
When writing your speech, try to keep it to only a few minutes long. Anything too long will make it harder for your guests to stay interested and engaged in your speech. It is okay, in fact it is often welcomed to be romantic in your speech. It is your wedding day after all.
Below are a few examples of groom speeches that you can use as inspiration for your upcoming wedding. Let these groom speeches help you put together a unique and heartfelt speech for your special day.
Groom’s Speech Examples
1. You have all heard the story about the bride who dreams of her wedding day. But I have dreamt of my wedding day too. My wife and I worked hard and put our heads together to plan the perfect wedding. From the venue to the caterer and the suit and gown, a lot of work was put into this wedding. We prayed for beautiful weather, good health, and for our guests to all arrive safely.
But at the end of the day, the only thing that could make my wedding day perfect was getting to stand next to the woman I love so that I could exchange vows with her. At the end of the day, that was all that really mattered. And now we are here before all of you as husband and wife.
2. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all of you for being here. To my parents, for guiding me, even now as an adult. To [bride’s] parents, for raising such a wonderful woman, and of course to all of our guests and vendors, for making this day even more complete. And lastly, thank you to [bride,] as we all know, this day would not have happened without you. Thank you for taking a chance on me and thank you for loving me the way that you do.
3. Now as many of you probably know, I am not an in-your-face romantic. I don’t go out to the movies first in line to see the latest romantic comedies and I’m not much of a mushy person. But I became a romantic the moment I met [bride,] who is now my wife.
In my experience, there are two kinds of people. The people who are romantic at heart and the people who don’t really believe in true love until they meet the one. I fit into the latter category. I was a skeptic, I was cynical and never thought love would come calling. Until one day, it did.
And it always happens in the most ordinary, unexpected way. I was not some knight looking for a princess. One day we just bumped into each other and sparks slowly started to fly. And now here we are, husband and wife.
When it comes to [bride,] I believe in romance with all of my heart. Now that I have you, I will kiss you every day and tell you that I love you because I never want you to forget that. I cannot believe how lucky I am to now be able to call you my wife.
4. Growing up, I had the best parents that a guy could ever ask for. And besides being such wonderful parents, my mom and dad were such a lovely couple to know. And I was even luckier to be able to call them mom and dad. Thank you guys for really showing me what love is. Love is the best gift that you can ever give anyone.
Seeing that kind of love between two people every day is such a gift and it has inspired me to be a loving person to everyone that I know, especially to my wife.
5. Doesn’t [bride] look stunning today? I do not really need to go on about how beautiful [bride] looks tonight, though to be honest, I think she looks beautiful any day of the week and at any time of day whether it be morning, noon, or night. But beauty is only skin deep anyway. What counts is what you find on the inside. And the more I got to know my wife, the more I feel in love with her.
6. As some of you here may know, [Bride] and I started off as friends. Naturally, I tried my best to not fall in love with her, I really did. She is a selfless person who is always thinking of others. But I have other selfless friends too. She is thoughtful, but so are my other friends.
While I love her for all of her many great qualities, what I love about my wife more than anything is how well she gets me. She knows me inside and out and never once ran away screaming. And I love her for who she is as well.
And that is why we are all here today in this room, because one day, we decided that it was not enough to just be friends. We knew that we could not live without each other and we wanted to spend the rest of our lives side by side.
[Bride,] I cannot believe how far we have come. Sometimes it still has me in shock, just thinking about how lucky I am to be able to wake up knowing that I have you in my life. Thank you for marrying me and for being my wife.
7. There are so many wonderful people in my life that have made this day special. My parents, who have raised me well and taught me the true meaning of love. My friends and family, who continue to be a remarkable support system to me and [bride,] [bride’s] parents, who raised a remarkable woman, and of course [bride] herself, who I am now lucky enough to call my wife. You all mean the world to me and I would not be up here without you.
8. I would like to take the opportunity to introduce the person who will be delivering the next speech. He is our Best Man and a good and loyal friend. He has always been my partner in crime and he is a really funny guy. Let us all welcome _____________.
9. There are many times in life when I have been uncertain. Uncertain about school, uncertain about what career I want to pursue. There are many times where I didn’t know where life should take me or where I should live. Figuring things out can be tough. But I never had to think twice about [bride.] With her, everything is so much clearer and makes so much more sense.
[Bride,] if there anything in this world that I am sure of, it is that I was meant to be with you. Today is only the beginning of the rest of our life together.
10. We spend a lot of our spare time worrying, wondering, and planning for the future. When I look at [bride,] I know that I have nothing to worry about. I know that we will build a great life together on top of the relationship that we already have.
11. When I think about now having a wife, I do not think about what she could do for me. But I ask myself, what I will do for her. As your husband, I cannot wait to fall asleep next to you, wake up by your side, share a table with you, and have many more adventures. I hope to bring you continuous laughter, joy, and comfort as we embark on our married life together.
12. Some of my friends have teased me about getting married. They joke about me being on a ball on chain and tied down. But I don’t see it that way. When you meet the right one, it does not feel like you are tied down. Instead, I have never felt more free and happier. And I have certainly never felt this kind of love before. So for me, trading the single life for the married life was a no-brainer. When you want to lock the one that you love down, then that’s when you know they are the one.
13. I have always been a bit of a shy, soft-spoken guy. I don’t like speaking in public and crowds make me nervous. But seeing [bride’s] face in the crowd helps and I just had to say this: I really hope today was not a dream. I will probably wake up tomorrow asking myself, did that all really happen? Did I really get to marry the woman I love?
How many people are that lucky to find such a special person who loves them back? Out of all the choices and paths we took in life, I truly believe that it all led us to each other, to this very moment.
14. To [bride,] my beautiful bride. There are no words, no poems that can fully describe you. I can only say that you make my heart feel full in the best way possible. Thank you for choosing me and thank you for letting me be your husband.
15. [Bride,] you look absolutely stunning today and every day. Whether you have on a dazzling dress and perfectly manicured nails and every strand of hair in place or you just have a messy ponytail and some t-shirt and sweatpants on, you look beautiful no matter what you wear.
Check out our other article on Wedding Vows for Him or Her.
16. Marriage, of course, is a big deal. It is a huge commitment. Planning a wedding is a lot of work and then of course, is the marriage itself. So why do it? For those who want to know why I asked [bride] to marry me, the simple, most obvious answer is love.
When I met [bride] and got to know her, I could hardly believe that she hadn’t already been scooped up by someone else.
17. [Bride,] you already know that as much as I love you, I am not perfect. But I will do my best to do my share in our marriage and around the house. I will try to remember to put my dirty dishes in the sink and I will do my best to separate the laundry correctly. But here is what I can promise you without a doubt. I will love you with all my heart and I will try to make you laugh and smile every day.
18. So I wrote a little something for [bride.] And you might be wondering why I am reading this in front of a room full of people then. Why not read this in a room with just the two of us? But since today is a celebration of our love, I thought what other way to celebrate this love than to talk about it in a room full of the people that we both love?
[Bride,] you look beautiful tonight. I cannot believe that I am yours and that you are mine, but I am so happy for it. Since we have been together, you have made me the happiest man on Earth, and today made me even happier. I cannot wait to embark on the rest of our life together. I love you so much.
19. When our eyes first met, I already knew
That you were my absolute dream come true.
Your very smile lights up the sky,
I am so happy to call you mine.
20. I had only ever read stories and heard tales of what true love was. It was not until you that I finally knew and understood what it all meant. To me, your name alone makes me light up. Your smile brightens my day and your eyes sparkle like the sun. But more than anything, I have met my twin soul.
21. [Bride,] I am so blessed to be able to call you my wife. You are an angel in my life. I cannot wait to share the rest of my life with you. I know that God will guide us on our path together.
22. [Bride,] you are my favorite person in the world. Today is our first day of being married and I know we will have so many other firsts. Our first house, our first child if we are lucky, and so on. I cannot wait to share all of these exciting memories with you, my lovely wife.
23. To [bride,] my beautiful bride, who I can now call my wife. While nobody in this world is 100% perfect, to me you are amazing just as you are. I love everything about you and look forward to spending my days with you as husband and wife.
24. [Bride,] I don’t know if you truly know how happy you make me. Words cannot fully or adequately express how your presence and love make me feel. I can only say that things are much better and much brighter with you by my side.
25. [Bride,] what we have is beautiful. Our relationship nourishes my soul and your company gives me so much excitement. You are fun and hilarious and beautiful and kind and smart too. There is no one out there like you and I am so lucky that you are my wife.
26. [Bride,] we have had so many blessings in our relationship together. Meeting you and becoming your friend was a blessing, and getting to marry you was an even bigger one. I know that God will guide us on the right path on our marriage and I cannot wait to see what our future has in store.
27. [Bride,] it is easy to love you. Not only on your best days, but on your worst days as well. When you are happy, I want to celebrate with you and when you are sad, I want to help comfort you and lift up your spirits. You make me so loved as well.
You may also enjoy our Father of the Bride Speech Examples.
28. [Bride,] you are many things to me. You are my best friend, my confidante, my rock, and my wife. You are my love, my partner, and my family. In short, you are everything to me. Let us toast to our future together as a married couple.
29. [Bride,] I am not the same person I was before I met you. When we first embarked on a relationship, something special started. A seed was planted and it continues to grow and flourish today. I am so excited to continue to grow with you and to see what memories our marriage will make.
30. [Bride,] thank you for marrying me today. Without a doubt, I know that we will be happy together. When we first met, I could never have predicted where we would end up today, but I am sure glad that this is where we are now. Now that I know you, I could not see myself with anyone else but you.
31. [Bride,] you are my other half, we complement each other so perfectly. You are the peanut butter to my jelly, the macaroni to my cheese, and the yin to my yang. With you, I know that anything is possible.
32. [Bride,] thank you for signing up to be my wife. I know that I am not the cleanest eater or the snappiest dresser, but I promise to make you as happy as I can. I will always try to put a smile on your face and I will always be there to hold your hand and whisper that I love you.
33. [Bride,] what we have together is love. We have no illusions of being with perfect people, but we love each other anyway. I will continue to love you, my wife, imperfections and all.