A mother is the only person who understands her son better than anyone else. Their relationship affects the overall development of the child as years pass by. Boys sharing a healthy relationship with their mothers are observed to be more emotionally intelligent. Their bonds teach gentleness, strength, security, and confidence. Those who have an unhealthy relationship with their mothers tend to be more aggressive and impatient.
She is not only a mother but she will also be the son’s best friend, guide, and philosopher. If the boy sees their mother as someone respectable, loving, and kind-hearted, he is more likely to do the same towards other women he meets growing up. A mother-son relationship greatly influences a man’s life decisions and how he shapes his own future.
We know you’re a loving son too that’s why you’re here. We don’t want to disappoint you so we’re giving you some of the best mother son quotes to write to your mom. We hope you continue to cherish the relationship you share with your mom because after all, we only have one awesome mom in this life!
Mother Son Quotes
1. It takes one woman twenty years to make a man of her son – and another woman twenty minutes to make a fool of him. – Helen Rowland
2. That strong mother doesn’t tell her cub, Son, stay weak so the wolves can get you. She says, Toughen up, this is reality we are living in. – Lauryn Hill
3. But a mother-son relationship is not a coequal one, is it? He is lonely with only you just as you are lonely with only him. – Mary Balogh
4. Even more than the time when she gave birth, a mother feels her greatest joy when she hears others refer to her son as a wise learned one. – Thiruvalluvar
5. Mother is her son’s first god; she must teach him the most important lesson of all, how to love. – T. F. Hodge
6. Raising boys has made me a more generous woman than I really am. Undoubtedly, there are other routes to learning the wishes and dreams of the presumably opposite sex, but I know of none more direct, or more highly motivating, than being the mother of sons. – Mary Kay Blakely
7. I listen to my mother, and that keeps me out of trouble. I’m a good son. – Mr. T
8. My mother carried me for ten months. I asked her ‘Mother, you had an extra month, why you didn’t make me a beautiful face?’ and mother told me, ‘My son, I was busy making your beautiful hands and heart.’ – Mstislav Rostropovich
9. If you try singling me out to my mother, she’ll be down your throat. She has three sons, and she’s equally proud of us all. – Lee Pearson
10. A mother will come up to me and say, ‘Will you meet my son? He loves you. He watched ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ a thousand times.’ – T. J. Miller
11. I don’t think the way I portray mother’s and son’s relationships has anything to do with my age or generation. It has to do with what I lived with my own mother and what it’s transformed into and the point of view it has given me on mothers and women. The way I was brought up with women. It’s all about personal background. – Xavier Dolan
12. You are ugly when you love her, you are beautiful and fresh, vital and free, modern and poetic. When you don’t, you are more beautiful as an orphan than as your mother’s son. – Witold Gombrowicz
13. As the mother of a son, I do not accept that alienation from me is necessary for his discovery of himself. As a woman, I will not cooperate in demeaning womanly things so that he can be proud to be a man. I like to think the women in my son’s future are counting on me. – Letty Cottin Pogrebin
14. To many a mother’s heart has come the disappointment of a loss of power, a limitation of influence when early manhood takes the boy from the home, or when even before that time, in school, or where he touches the great world and begins to be bewildered with its controversies, trade and economics and politics make their imprint even while his lips are dewy with his mother’s kiss. – J. Ellen Foster
15. When I was a child, my mother said to me, ‘If you become a soldier, you’ll be a general. If you become a monk you’ll end up as the pope.’ Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso. – Pablo Picasso
16. A man never sees all that his mother has been to him until it’s too late to let her know that he sees it. – W. D. Howells
17. For a mother, the project of raising a boy is the most fulfilling project she can hope for. She can watch him, as a child, play the games she was not allowed to play; she can invest in him her ideas, aspirations, ambitions, and values, or whatever she has left of them; she can watch her son, who came from her flesh and whose life was sustained by her work and devotion, embody her in the world. So while the project of raising a boy is fraught with ambivalence and leads inevitably to bitterness, it is the only project that allows a woman to be — to be through her son, to live through her son. – Andrea Dworkin
18. Sons believe that their mothers are flawless people and to discover otherwise, it is crushing. Every son knows that his mother wants the best for him that is why he trusts her completely and irrevocably.
19. Sons worship their mothers, seeing them as flawless, almighty beings who spread love and who are able to do anything. That is why the most important lesson that a mother can teach her son is to respect, love, and understand women.
20. Being a mother to a little boy and helping him discover the world is one of the greatest experiences in a woman’s life, which makes objective goals dull in comparison. The connection between a mother and her son opens the gate to a new world of wonder and love.
21. Despite the profound connection between a mother and her son, when the son gets married and has his own family, he often forgets that his mother still needs him in her life. It takes so little effort to call our mothers, yet we forget that it makes her day to simply hear our voice from time to time.
22. When a mother holds her son for the first time, something magical happens that turns all her life upside down. She discovers that taking care of a fragile being that is entirely dependent on her is scary, but also extremely rewarding.
23. There are several milestones in a little boy’s life that make his mother’s heart melt completely. The first mommy is probably the most heart-warming word he will ever say. Mothers live for such moments.
24. My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. – Jack Nicholson
25. Let France have good mothers, and she will have good sons. – Napoleon Bonaparte
26. Mothers see the angel in us because the angel is there. If it’s shown to the mother, the son has got an angel to show, hasn’t he? When a son cuts somebody’s throat the mother only sees it’s possible for a misguided angel to act like a devil, and she’s entirely right about that. – Booth Tarkington
27. Having a child makes you realize the importance of life, narcissism goes out the window. Heaven on earth is looking at my little boy. The minute he was born, I knew if I never did anything other than being a mom, I’d be fine. – Jenny McCarthy
28. Men are what their mothers made them. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
29. All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother. -Abraham Lincoln
30. A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. – Washington Irving
31. Her family had of late been exceedingly fluctuating. For many years of her life she had had two sons; but the crime and annihilation of Edward a few weeks ago, had robbed her of one; the similar annihilation of Robert had left her for a fortnight without any; and now, by the resurrection of Edward, she had one again. – Jane Austen
32. There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite so special as the love between the mother and a son.
33. Mothers yielding Bibles, contemplating smearing the blood of lamb chops over her doorway. Anything to keep her son alive another day. – Antonia Perdu
34. And she loved a little boy very, very much, even more than she loved herself. – Shel Silverstein
35. So there’s this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me ‘mom’.
36. When Jack Burns needed to hold his mother’s hand, his fingers could see in the dark. – John Irving
37. I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. – Abraham Lincoln
38. A boy’s best friend is his mother.
39. My mother is not a CIA agent, but she’s an Italian mother, and she’d do anything for her son. – Adriano Giannini
40. Everything that went on in my life, it was super important for me to have Camden first. And by that I mean my son and to have that relationship with my son to give me that quiet confidence that I needed as a mother and as a woman. Now with Brooklyn, I am just so at ease; I am so comfortable. – Vanessa Lachey
41. I have a mother back there in Illinois who is old and feeble. I haven’t seen her this many a year and haven’t been a good son to her, yet I love her better than anything in this life. – Wild Bill Hickok
42. A boy’s best friend is his mother. – Joseph Stefano
43. A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. – Irish Proverb
44. There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite so special as the love between the mother and a son.
45. There is an endearing tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart. – Washington Irving
46. Happy is the son whose faith in his mother remains unchallenged. – Louisa May Alcott
47. To a mother, a son is never a fully grown man; and a son is never a fully grown man until he understands and accepts this about his mother.
48. Mothers are inscrutable beings to their sons, always. – A.E. Coppard
49. When my son was little, we mothers always did the Halloween parties, and I would wear my orange and black chanel. It comes in handy on October 31. I’m the chicest pumpkin around. – Karen Katz
50. When I was younger, I didn’t understand how a mother could put her son on a plane and just say, you know, ‘Here you go, I’ll see you later.’ And she never followed, she never came. – Jose Antonio Vargas
51. Mary and Jesus had this extraordinary relationship between them. What a teacher Mary is, really. It is the ultimate trusting; that she had to trust God, that she was so privileged to be the mother of the Savior, that she had to stand there as a mother and watch her son being murdered and trust that that is what he came to do. – Roma Downey
52. I did not raise my son, Sam, to celebrate Mother’s Day. I didn’t want him to feel some obligation to buy me pricey lunches or flowers, some annual display of gratitude that you have to grit your teeth and endure. – Anne Lamott
53. Life guided me to being a bodyguard, protecting people, then in the movies, so I’m happy with everything because basically all I ever wanted to do was be a good son and take care of my mother. – Mr. T
54. What does the truth matter? Haven’t we mothers all given our sons a taste for lies, lies which from the cradle upwards lull them, reassure them, send them to sleep: lies as soft and warm as a breast. – Georges Bernanos
55. Holding my Mother’s ashes in my hand. A thunder of pain smashes in my heart. The beauty of her smile, always allowed me to go the extra mile. As thoughts pile up in my mind, the sound of her voice brings comfort. Even though she is gone, she taught me how to be strong. I am thinking of the day you were taken. A Son’s memories shattered in silence. But your life is a beacon for my soul. Mother, dearest Mother, no other woman compares to you. You were strong in the darkest hour and you showed me the strength to achieve victory. So at this moment my victories and achievements belong to you. – Mark Frank
56. To my dear son, I miss the time when you were a baby. You were jolly as can be and never shed a tear, only when I wasn’t there. I miss reading you story books before bed. And you would say, ‘mom’ make it funny in my own version. I miss singing to you our special song, sitting by my side was where you always wanted to be. I missed your first word, I missed your first step. And I am sorry for work had taken most of my time. Now you are at your teenage years. Later in life, you gonna become a man. My dear son, I’ll be your guidence. – Nagella Jean-Baptiste
57. I often bring my baby flowers, and ponder on what kind of mother I would have been. But I know that I would have been just great, my little boy would have grown up surrounded with love. The beauty of his childhood stolen, I will never see the man he would have been in life. I would have taught him all that I know, but would let him free to fly with his own wings and mind. When he crashed I would always be there, to pick up all the broken pieces and say, ‘be strong.’ Yes, I would have been a good mother, to this sweet little boy who never saw the blue sky.
58. I remember my oldest son, Steve, saying to me once, ‘I don’t ever remember seeing you with an apron on.’ And I thought, that’s right, honey, you did not. That was his concept of what a mother should be. – Lauren Bacal
59. Revenge by young men is considered gain, even at the cost of their own lives, but old men who stay at home in times of war, and mothers who have sons to lose, know better. – Chief Seattle
60. I always was a weird child. My mother told me the story that, in kindergarten, I would come home and tell her about this weird kid in my class who drew only with black crayons and didn’t speak to other kids. I talked about it so much that my mother brought it up with the teacher, who said, ‘What? That’s your son?’ – John Waters
61. I’m a mother of a three year old, but when I started ‘California,’ my son wasn’t even a twinkle in my eye. Because the book took as long as it did, I wrote it before I was pregnant, while I was pregnant, and as a new mother. So I enjoyed a diversity of experiences while creating this world. – Edan Lepucki
62. Sons are the anchors of a mother’s life. – Sophocles
63. If a man has been his mother’s undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. – Sigmund Freud
64. Marriage is a definite no-no. I am totally married to my company. Emotionally, my mother fills up the void in my life. So there it is. My company is a spouse I will never cheat on, and my mother completes me as a son. I think I have a full family unit of my own. – Karan Johar
65. My mother had heard the story of Hannah and Samuel, so she prayed that if God would give her a son, she would give that son to God. That was a perfectly appropriate thing for her to do, but as I observe, she did not have to tell me she had made such a promise. In particular, she did not have to tell me when I was six. – Stanley Hauerwas
66. My father died when I was seven, leaving a widow and five sons, ranging in age from five to seventeen. My mother was the most highly disciplined and hardest working person I have ever known, and this, combined with her love and gentleness, enabled her to make a success of each of her children. – Arthur Lewis
67. Being a new mother was a joyful and sometimes overwhelming experience. And as the first Missouri female state legislator to have a baby while in office, having health care for myself and my son gave me some needed peace of mind. – Claire McCaskill
68. I’d been a housewife and mother to our son Thomas Jefferson, and I was looking for a new career. So when my agent called and said a producer named Paul Elliott from E&B productions, the biggest panto company in the country at the time, wanted to meet me I agreed. – Britt Ekland
69. I thought if my son was now eighteen years old and he was tempted to join the fight and take the burden of protecting his family. Because it’s always tempting especially for young men. What would I do as a mother to stop him? – Nadine Labaki
70. No mother wants to hear her son say he’s gay. Those two words rip the picture of a daughter in law and grandchildren into pieces. I felt sorry for my mom and wanted her to know everything was going to be alright. But then she said, ‘I don’t really care, Johnny, as long as I know that you are going to be happy.’ – Johnny Weir
71. My mother is from another time – the funniest person to her is Lucille Ball; that’s what she loves. A lot of times she tells me she doesn’t know what I’m talking about. I know if I wasn’t her son and she was flipping through the TV and saw me, she would just keep going. – Steven Wright
72. My mother told me, ‘Son, nobody else but God knows.’ And that’s what I’m about, reaching out to the people, crying with them, giving them hope. Visiting the hospital, visiting the kids with cancer, visiting the adults, and stuff like that. That’s what I do. – Mr. T
73. Mothering of orphan Joe was easy for the foster mother. She pushed the pram to and fro, and loved the baby orphan Joe. Mothering of orphan Joe was special when he was down the school. He never knew what he had to do. His mother taught him all the rules. She loved him well, the orphan Joe. Although he was slow, she did not mind. “You’re an orphan, orphan Joe” were words that never crossed her mind. So Joe grew up a balanced lad, and made his foster mother glad. – Julia Ward
74. The best love in the world is the love of a man. The love of a man who came from your womb, the love of your son! I don’t have a daughter, but maybe the love of a daughter is the best, too. I am first and foremost me, but right after that, I am a mother. The best thing that I can ever be, is me. But the best gift that I will ever have, is being a mother. – C. JoyBell C.
75. Put something on, “she hissed.”I’m not some high school cheerleader you can intimidate or make me squirm by showing your penis. I’ve seen it before.I was the one who changed your diapers.
76. I know you have your own life, his mother said to his voicemail. I was just hoping to be part of it for a few hours. – Maggie Stiefvater
77. Yes, it was the love of a woman that was the danger, the obstacle on which her dearest wish might founder. How it grieves mothers to tell themselves that, at the very moment it has occurred to them, there already exists a woman who is making her way towards their son from the depths of eternity. – Georges Rodenbach
78. Sometimes when I need a miracle, I look into my son’s eyes, and realize I’ve already created one.
79. You will be his first his, his first love, his first friend. You’re his momma and he is your whole world. He is your little boy.
80. The bond between mother and son lasts a lifetime. The bond between mother and son is a special one. It remains unchanged by time or distance. It is the purest love, unconditional and true. It is understanding of any situation and forgiving of any mistake.
81. To my son, never forget that I love you. Life is filled with hard times and good times. Learn from everything you can. Be the man I know you can be.
82. A son is a mother’s most precious treasure.
83. Son, you remind me how so much depends on days made of now. – Alison McGhee
84. Your son will hold your hand only for a little while, but he will hold your heart for a lifetime.
85. There’s this boy who stole my heart. He calls me mom.
86. And I promise you this: no matter who enters your life, I will love you more than any of them.
87. His little hands stole my heart, and his little feet ran away with it.
88. A man who treats his woman like a princess is a proof that he has been born and raised in the arms of a queen.
89. There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite as special as the love between a mother and a son.
90. Every man looks for a girlfriend that has his mother’s qualities.