In life, it’s important we have the strength to overcome any challenges that come our way. But what exactly is a real strength? We all know how great it is to be physically strong, and how it can help you to be emotionally and mentally strong too. When we are strong, problems seem to be smaller, our self-confidence levels up, and we tend to create a better life for ourselves and for our loved ones. It may sound easy but a lot of people actually struggle to be strong whenever they face adversities. Is it even possible to teach a person how to be strong when all of us are going through almost the same obstacles?
The answer to that question is yes, people can teach us to be strong but it is our own personal choice to apply those lessons to our lives. We may constantly hear other people say, “Be resilient, be confident, love more, be faithful and learn to accept the fact that at some point in our lives we may feel weak,” but those words of advice will only become effective if we actually use them. At the end of the day, your weakness and strength is a sign that you are still alive. Make every second count because you only have one life to live. Be strong and believe that there is always a rainbow after the rain!
Here is a long list of strength quotes to help you focus on being strong every day no matter what life throws your way.
1. Go ahead, tell me that I’m not good enough. Tell me I can’t do it. Because I will show you over and over again that I can.
2. Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you
3. You have to believe in yourself when no one else does – that makes you a winner right there.
4. The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within strength, courage, and dignity.
5. She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.
6. She was stronger alone.
7. It is a shame for a woman to grow old without ever seeing the strength and beauty of which her body is capable.
8. She builds others up because she knows what it’s like to be torn down
9. Strong women wear their pain like they do stilettos. No matter how much it hurts, all you see is the beauty of it.
10. This is the year I will be stronger, braver, kinder, unstoppable and this year, I will be fierce.
11. You’ve always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself.
12. Stay strong, make them wonder how you’re still smiling.
13. May my heart be brave, my mind fierce and my spirit free.
14. A strong woman is one who is able to smile this morning like she wasn’t crying last night.
15. A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.
16. Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack.
17. Life has a way of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or everything happen at once.
18. I breathe in my courage and exhale my fear.
19. You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.
20. Forget all the reasons why it won’t work and believe the one reason why it will.
21. Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us.
22. You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
23. The world breaks everyone, then some become strong at the broken places.
24. You were never created to live depressed, defeated, guilty, condemned, ashamed or unworthy. You were created to be victorious.
25. Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.
26. Deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. – Lao Tzu
27. With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. – Eleanor Roosevelt
28. Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. – Harriet Tubman
29. The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection. – Thomas Paine
30. Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm. – Abraham Lincoln
31. Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. – Napoleon Hill
32. Unity is strength when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved. – Mattie Stepanek
33. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies. – Mother Teresa
34. Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential. – Winston Churchill
35. Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health. – Dalai Lama
36. Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. – Helen Keller
37. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. – Buddha
38. I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death. – Leonardo da Vinci
39. The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. – Ernest Hemingway
40. Kites rise highest against the wind – not with it. – Winston Churchill
41. I do believe in the old saying, ‘What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.’ Our experiences, good and bad, make us who we are. By overcoming difficulties, we gain strength and maturity. – Angelina Jolie
42. Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. – Arnold Schwarzenegger
43. Silence is a source of great strength. – Lao Tzu
44. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. – George Orwell
45. My family is my strength and my weakness. – Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
46. Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go. – Hermann Hesse
47. We don’t even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome. – Isabel Allende
48. Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance. – Samuel Johnson
49. You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength. – Marcus Aurelius
50. We don’t even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome. – Isabel Allende
51. There are dark shadows on the earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast. – Charles Dickens
52. When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. – Tecumseh
53. God has always given me the strength to say what is right. – Rosa Parks
54. A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. – Christopher Reeve
55. Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. – Mahatma Gandhi
56. Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
57. Nobody can hurt me without my permission. – Mahatma Gandhi
58. Where there is no struggle, there is no strength. – Oprah Winfrey
59. The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home. – Confucius
60. All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. – Walt Disney
61. No matter what kind of challenges or difficulties or painful situations you go through in your life, we all have something deep within us that we can reach down and find the inner strength to get through them. – Alana Stewart
62. Being glamorous is about strength and confidence. It’s black and white – dramatic. You have to be strong. – Catherine Zeta-Jones
63. Joy is prayer; joy is strength: joy is love; joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls. – Mother Teresa
64. The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character. – Arnold Schwarzenegger
65. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. – Khalil Gibran
66. In solitude the mind gains strength and learns to lean upon itself. – Laurence Sterne
67. The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong. – Swami Vivekananda
68. Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak. – Thomas Carlyle
69. Girl power is about loving yourself and having confidence and strength from within, so even if you’re not wearing a sexy outfit, you feel sexy. – Nicole Scherzinger
70. The soul that is within me no man can degrade. – Frederick Douglass
71. I never said I wanted a ‘happy’ life but an interesting one. From separation and loss, I have learned a lot. I have become strong and resilient, as is the case of almost every human being exposed to life and to the world. We don’t even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. – Isabel Allende
72. Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength. – Charles Spurgeon
73. When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways – either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength. Thanks to the teachings of Buddha, I have been able to take this second way. – Dalai Lama
74. The color of the skin is in no way connected with strength of the mind or intellectual powers. – Benjamin Banneker
75. History teaches us that unity is strength, and cautions us to submerge and overcome our differences in the quest for common goals, to strive, with all our combined strength, for the path to true African brotherhood and unity. – Haile Selassie
76. Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own. – Henry Ward Beecher
77. Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul. – John Muir
78. Try to look at your weakness and convert it into your strength. That’s success. – Zig Ziglar
79. I’m in love with red. I think it’s such a passionate color. Every flag of every country pretty much has red it it. It’s power, there’s no fence sitting with red. Either you love it or you don’t. I think its blood and strength and life. I do love red. I love all colors. Great shades of blue, you find them in nature. They’re all magic. – Bryan Batt
80. Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength. – Betty Friedan
81. Our diversity is our strength. What a dull and pointless life it would be if everyone was the same. – Angelina Jolie
82. From my perspective, I absolutely believe in a greater spiritual power, far greater than I am, from which I have derived strength in moments of sadness or fear. That’s what I believe, and it was very, very strong in the forest. – Jane Goodall
83. The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it. – Woodrow Wilson
84. Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory. – William Barclay
85. Femininity is not just lipstick, stylish hairdos, and trendy clothes. It is the divine adornment of humanity. It finds expression in your qualities of your capacity to love, your spirituality, delicacy, radiance, sensitivity, creativity, charm, graciousness, gentleness, dignity, and quiet strength. – James E. Faust
86. This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure. – Winston Churchill
87. It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength. – Maya Angelou
88. No difficulty can discourage, no obstacle dismay, no trouble dishearten the man who has acquired the art of being alive. Difficulties are but dares of fate, obstacles but hurdles to try his skill, troubles but bitter tonics to give him strength; and he rises higher and looms greater after each encounter with adversity. – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
89. It doesn’t take a lot of strength to hang on. It takes a lot of strength to let go. – J. C. Watts
90. Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. – Lao Tzu
91. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. – Friedrich Nietzsche
92. One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity. – Albert Schweitzer
93. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. – Thomas Paine
94. You can’t really be strong until you see a funny side to things. – Ken Kesey
95. When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure. – Peter Marshall
96. The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt. – Max Lerner
97. When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. – Audre Lorde
98. Right now, when we’re hearing so much disturbing and hateful rhetoric, it is so important to remember that our diversity has been – and will always be – our greatest source of strength and pride here in the United States. – Michelle Obama
99. The men who learn endurance, are they who call the whole world, brother. – Charles Dickens
100. Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on. – Henry Rollins
101. The men who learn endurance, are they who call the whole world, brother. – Charles Dickens
102. If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees. – Hal Borland
103. My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength. – Michael Jordan
104. What gives me the most hope every day is God’s grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me the strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God. – Rick Warren
105. Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws. – Barbara Kingsolver
106. In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero and will continue to remain so. Apart from him and outside cricket, my mother has remained my inspiration. Whatever difficult time I had faced, she was always there for me. She has given me all the strength. She maintained her composure and supported me in tough times. – Virat Kohli
107. Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. – Helen Keller
108. What gives me the most hope every day is God’s grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me the strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God. – Rick Warren
109. Strength lies in differences, not in similarities. – Stephen Covey
110. The strength of brand loyalty begins with how your product makes people feel. – Jay Samit
111. Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws. – Barbara Kingsolver
112. I would fight for my liberty so long as my strength lasted, and if the time came for me to go, the Lord would let them take me. – Harriet Tubman
113. A strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done. – Marge Piercy
114. Social media is reducing social barriers. It connects people on the strength of human values, not identities. – Narendra Modi
115. Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength. – Corrie Ten Boom
116. I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. – Christopher Reeve
117. The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way. – Robert Kiyosaki
118. When a tradition gathers enough strength to go on for centuries, you don’t just turn it off one day. – Chinua Achebe
119. When adversity strikes, that’s when you have to be the most calm. Take a step back, stay strong, stay grounded and press on. – LL Cool J
120. That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind. – William Wordsworth
121. As long as we persevere and endure, we can get anything we want. – Mike Tyson
122. I like criticism. It makes you strong. – LeBron James
123. Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. – Saint Francis de Sales
124. Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. – Leo Buscaglia
125. The more I see of deer, the more I admire them as mountaineers. They make their way into the heart of the roughest solitudes with a smooth reserve of strength, through dense belts of brush and forest encumbered with fallen trees and boulder piles, across canyons, roaring streams, and snow-fields, ever showing forth beauty and courage. – John Muir
126. It takes so much strength to say to your ego, ‘You know what? You’re going to keep me lonely, so I have to ignore you.’ – George Michael
127. God, our Creator, has stored within our minds and personalities, great potential strength and ability. Prayer helps us tap and develop these powers. – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
128. Wolves and women are relational by nature, inquiring, possessed of great endurance and strength. They are deeply intuitive, intensely concerned with their young, their mate and their pack. Yet both have been hounded, harassed and falsely imputed to be devouring and devious, overly aggressive, of less value than those who are their detractors. – Clarissa Pinkola Estes
129. A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong. – Tecumseh
130. You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say, ‘I’m proud of what I am and who I am, and I’m just going to be myself.’ – Mariah Carey
131. If I didn’t define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people’s fantasies for me and eaten alive. – Audre Lorde
132. Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them. You will find that they haven’t half the strength you think they have. – Norman Vincent Peale
133. We gain the strength of the temptation we resist. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
134. The undertaking of a new action brings new strength. – Richard L. Evans
135. I look forward to a great future for America – a future in which our country will match its military strength with our moral restraint, its wealth with our wisdom, its power with our purpose. – John F. Kennedy
136. I felt invincible. My strength was that of a giant. God was certainly standing by me. I smashed five saloons with rocks before I ever took a hatchet. – Carry Nation
137. I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman. – Anais Nin
138. I think women are amazing for being able to show what they feel. I admire women who do. I think it’s a mistake when women cover their emotions to look tough. I say let’s own who we are and use it as a strength. – Gal Gadot
139. Only the gentle are ever really strong. – James Dean
140. There is an invisible strength within us; when it recognizes two opposing objects of desire, it grows stronger. – Rumi
141. I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. – Thomas Jefferson
142. The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country. – Kim Jong-un
143. Of course! It takes a lot of strength to mend a broken heart. Channelising energies into your work helps, but also to be able to accept situations for what they are instead of questioning them helps immensely. – Deepika Padukone