Whether it is your first date, you are in a relationship, or married, these conversation starters can get you talking and some of them may lead to deep communication. Many of them are even good for social networking and in other settings.
It’s okay to be nervous, especially if this is a first date, but with a few of these questions, you should be able to spark a conversation that will continue and you will forget all about the anxiousness you felt earlier.
Here we have listed 260 conversation topics you can choose from. Scroll down and find the ones that interest you the most. Most questions are random but we cover many questions about family, dating, books, music, movies, goals, travel, food, education, holidays etc. Below are plenty of questions so dig in.
Good Conversation Starters
1. Where did you grow up? Describe it to me please.
2. Describe your dream vacation.
3. Describe your worst date.
4. Tell me what would you change in your life if you hit the lottery; describe one of your hitting the lottery dreams to me, what you would do, where you would go, and would you retire from work?
5. What was the happiest moment in your life?
6. What was the worst moment in your life?
7. What type of work do you do? Where do you work?
8. Do you have any siblings? Describe them please.
9. Where is your favorite vacation spot? Can you describe it please?
10. Tell me the story of you.
11. What was the last video you saw?
12. What if any household chores do you enjoy doing? Why?
13. Do you have any pets? Please describe them, their personality as well as looks.
14. How would you describe a hero?
15. Who is your hero and have you ever met them?
16. What has been your greatest challenge so far in life? Work?
17. Describe what it was like growing up in your family and are you close to them?
18. Tell me what you do for fun?
19. How do you deal with stress, what strategy do you use to reduce your stress? Example: exercise, massage, meditation.
20. Are you good at telling when someone is lying to you?
21. Can you read people well so you know if they are who they say they are or trying to be?
22. Describe your morning ritual if you have one?
23. Describe your favorite thing to do on weekends.
24. How do you relax after work on weekdays?
25. Do you stay calm during crises?
26. Do you know what your name means?
27. If you hit the lottery, what is the first thing you would do? Purchase for yourself? Purchase for your partner or parents and family members?
28. Describe your greatest fear.
29. Tell me about your best friend.
30. Do you have some movies you want to see? Which ones?
31. How much social media do you do?
32. When you were growing up, what was your dream job? Is it still your dream job or is your job similar to it?
33. Tell me how you would help a friend who needs emotional support.
34. What are you looking for out of life? Love?
35. How would you describe your financial habits? Thrifty or splashy?
36. Do you live alone or have roommates? If roommates, can you describe them?
37. Describe to me the first time you had to do a household chore like laundry. Were you depending on your mother to do it for you and when was that? How did it turn out?
38. Are you any good at cooking? Describe the last meal you cooked.
39. Would you consider yourself tidy or sloppy? Describe the condition of your place when you left it prior to seeing me.
40. Do you believe in the supernatural or magic? Why? If you’ve felt it, please describe it.
41. Describe what you were really into as a kid, example G I Joe soldiers, Barbie dolls, etc.
42. How do you feel about forgiveness, does everyone deserve it?
43. What was your favorite children’s book?
44. Did you have a favorite teacher? Who and why? How did they touch your life to leave such a mark that you remember their name?
45. Describe how someone hurt or betrayed you during childhood or teen years. Has this experienced affected your adult life?
46. What is your idea of fun when hanging out with your friends?
47. Describe when you were little and something frightened you, what did you do about it?
48. What things scare you now, example thunderstorms?
49. Tell me what your favorite drink is.
50. Who has been the biggest influence on your life? Why?
51. What was the last book you read and when? Would you recommend the book?
52. What is your biggest regret?
53. Describe the holidays when you were growing up, which ones did your family celebrate the most? Do you still decorate and celebrate those holidays in a similar way?
54. What was the best Halloween costume you ever wore? What was it? When?
55. Do you enjoy costume parties?
56. Describe how you do your Christmas shopping? Early, late, in mall, online?
57. What is your favorite time of year and why?
58. Is there a time of year that you dislike? Why?
59. Describe the last time you went out with your friends.
60. Which is your favorite type of movie? Action, comedy, drama, suspense/horror?
61. Describe your motto or code you live your life by.
62. Do you have any habits you would like to break and have you tried to break them?
63. What is your belief in God? Were your parents religious, are they still?
64. Do you think that things happen for a reason or that the world and everything that happens in it is all random?
65. Have you ever had a psychic reading? Describe it, do you believe it or do you think it will be or was accurate?
66. What is your middle name?
67. Do you or have you suffered from insomnia? What did you do when you couldn’t sleep?
68. Describe yourself as a child; were you rebellious, spoiled, an angel, or a clown?
69. the worst thing you did as a child and did you get away with it or not.
70. What do you feel is most important in people? Looks or personality?
71. How far would you go to protect a family member or friend?
72. If you could live in the country or the city, which would you choose and why? If you could reside anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?
73. Describe a time when a total stranger helped you and how it made you feel?
74. Do you donate time or money to any charity? Which one? Why that one?
75. If you could do one thing to help your community, what would you do?
76. Describe what you would do if all of a sudden there was no electricity, technology, and no way to restore them.
77. How do you see this country being in 5 years, 10 years from now; better or worse than it is now?
78. If you could make one new law or abolish one law, which law would it be and why?
79. Which parent do you think you are most like? Why?
80. Do you think world peace is possible someday? Why?
81. Do you think that science and technology have gone too far or not far enough? Do you think that they will go too far at some point and how can we tell?
82. What is your favorite character from a book, movie, or television show and would you like to be more like that character and why?
83. If you could have any super power, what one would you choose?
84. If you had the gift to see the future, what would you do with it? Would you use it for good and prevent war, or would you use it simply for yourself to become rich and famous?
85. What makes you content? Describe your last feeling of contentment.
86. What was the last thing that made you really belly laugh? Describe the situation.
87. Have you ever played match maker for a friend? How did it turn out?
88. Coffee or tea? How do you take it?
89. What was the last thing you purchased?
90. Describe what motivates you most in life? What disengages, depresses you?
91. Do you have any allergies to food or medications?
92. Do you have any medical alerts such as diabetes?
93. Tell me what makes you feel appreciated.
94. What is your biggest pet peeve and why?
95. Have you met someone truly evil? Describe the feelings you had.
96. What do you consider the best way to celebrate your birthday?
97. Do you like surprises or dislike them?
98. What is the one thing you hate most about your job? And the one thing that is best?
99. Use three words to describe yourself.
100. Describe how you handle panhandlers on the street.
101. How long can you go without checking your phone for texts, emails, or social media alerts without going crazy?
102. Do you play any instruments or sing?
103. Do you consider yourself a spender or a saver?
104. If you could continue your education without having to worry about college tuition, what would you study and why?
105. What characteristics do you believe make a strong solid relationship or marriage?
106. Name five things you cannot live without?
107. If you found a homeless person in your home eating your food, what would you do?
108. If the neighbor children broke your window with a ball they were playing with, how would you handle it? Describe the conversation with children and parents.
109. What do you think of tattoos? Do you have any? Describe the tattoo you have if it is hidden right now.
110. If you knew what you know now when you were 15 years old, what would your 15 year old self do differently?
111. What do you notice first in the opposite sex?
112. What important values did your parents teach you? What ones did someone else teach you?
113. What would you do if you had a million dollars?
114. If you were a writer of novels, what would your pen name be?
115. Have you wished you were in a band? What would the name be?
116. Do you prefer amusement parks or museums and historical sites?
117. Do you think war is a necessary evil?
118. Do you think soul mates or true love really exists?
You may also like our other article: Ice breaker Questions.
119. Do you have a bucket list?
120. Describe your thoughts on romance?
121. Are you comfortable with who you are? Describe how you think others see you and does it matter to you how others see you?
122. Is there any food you cannot stand to eat?
123. Would you prefer a cheeseburger or something exotic like snails or octopus?
124. Have you ever saved an animal’s life? What about a person?
125. Do you work out and how often?
126. How can you tell that someone accepts you unconditionally?
127. What is your favorite meal from childhood? What about now?
128. Would you consider yourself organized? What do you consider organized?
129. Where have you traveled to? States or countries?
130. Do you prefer to drive or fly when you travel?
131. What are your thoughts on the security of our country? Do you think we really have security or just the illusion of security?
132. What are your thoughts on the government being able to listen to your phone calls and read your emails?
133. Do you have any kind of grudge or betrayal from the past that you need to let go? How can you do that?
134. Describe your idea of intimacy? Not just sexual intimacy but psychological intimacy as well.
135. Who are your favorite artists, actors/actresses, and authors? What do you find interesting about them?
136. Do friends ask you for help consistently? If so, with what?
137. In the past year, what has been your proudest moment? Your most disappointed?
138. What do you think will be carved on your tombstone?
139. How much time do you normally spend on the internet and what do you do?
140. What have you tried that you will never try again, food or activity?
141. Who gave you the best piece of advice you’ve received so far and who was that person?
142. Do you speak any other languages? Which ones?
143. What’s the most out-of-character choice you’ve ever made?
144. What gives you “butterflies?” When was the last time you had them?
145. How did your parents discipline you? If you were to have kids, would you use the same method?
146. If you were not here right now, what would you be doing?
147. Which news story over the past week did you find most interesting and why?
148. Do you play video games? Which ones? Which is your favorite? What is your highest score?
149. What was your first car? Describe it.
150. What was your favorite place as a child? What is your favorite place now? Describe both in detail.
151. If you could grant 3 wishes to someone else that was not money or material goods, what would you grant and to whom?
152. How do you measure success?
153. Have you ever been stuck someplace and what was the worst thing about the place?
154. Do you plan every minute of your vacation or do you just go with the flow?
155. What is your guilty pleasure?
156. What is your favorite dessert?
157. What is the most valuable thing you own? Why is it important to you?
158. Do you believe in luck?
159. What do you think are your best traits? Worst?
160. What are your thoughts on who should handle finances in a relationship and why?
161. What activities do you get lost in and lose track of time?
162. Do you have some items you would like to achieve before you die? Do you think you will achieve them?
163. If you wrote a book about your life, what would the title be and what genre would it fit in?
164. Describe the strangest date you have ever been on.
165. Describe your ideal house guest.
166. Do you have any talents, even weird ones?
167. Who would be the worst person for you to be stuck in an elevator with? Who would be your best person choice?
168. Do you go to movie theaters to watch new movies or wait for them to come out on DVD and watch them from your comfortable chair at home?
169. What are you most grateful for?
170. What is your favorite snack food?
171. When you are reading, do you prefer actual books or ebooks?
172. Do you watch professional sports? What sport is your favorite and who is your favorite athlete?
173. When you travel, do you follow the GPS or do you go off the beaten path and sight see?
174. What is the most beautiful place you have been to?
175. What do you consider the best invention of the last 50 years?
176. Is there any technology that annoys you? Why does it annoy you?
177. Do you consider yourself punctual? How early do you show up? If you are a late arriver, how late are you normally?
178. Do you follow rules and laws or do you feel they were meant to be bent?
179. How do you think family and friends would describe you?
180. What is the best thing to do on a hot summer day? A cold winter day?
181. How have your goals changed since you have gotten older? Do you think they will change again over time?
182. How do you get your news? Radio, television, or internet?
183. What three websites do you visit daily?
184. What business do you think will be obsolete in the next ten years?
185. What are you planning on doing when you retire? Do you have an age you would like to retire by? Do you think you will be able to retire at that age?
186. Do you have a favorite comfort food? What is it?
187. If you had a date coming to your house and you wanted to impress them with a meal, what would you cook?
188. If you could learn any skill, which one would you choose?
189. How important do you think a college education is? What about a trade such as plumbing or heating?
190. Do you have any hobbies? Are any of them something you could make money with such a wood working or sewing?
191. Do you consider yourself a generous person? Are you sometimes too generous?
192. Do you make friends easily or do you take time to really get to know someone before you call them a friend?
193. What do you feel is the best way to deal with someone who is annoying to you? Describe how you would handle the situation if they would not stop what they were doing to annoy you after being asked politely to stop.
194. Do you or have you ever felt insecure? Why?
195. What type of presents do you like for your birthday or Christmas?
196. What do you want out of life?
197. What do you feel is important in life, money, prestige, or family?
198. Do you think if you were suddenly rich, it would change the way you treat people? Would you buy a mansion or a nice house that has enough room for you? Would you change the way you dress if you were rich?
199. Do you dress for fashion or comfort?
200. How often do you eat out? Do you prefer to cook every day or one day on the weekend to make meals for the whole week so you could just heat up when you get home from work?
201. What do you think of fashion? If you could be a fashion designer, what would your clothing line be, casual, formal, career, or something else?
202. What fashion from prior decades do you hope never comes back in?
203. What is your favorite meal for winter? Drink?
204. Do you have a favorite winter sport? Summer sport?
205. Do you consider yourself to be an outdoor enthusiast? Do you like camping, hiking, kayaking?
206. Which holidays no longer hold the same meaning for you than they did before because they have been over commercialized?
207. What do you think of the education system in our country? Do you think that our children will get a good education or should it be improved?
208. Do you think that life is fair?
209. How often do you hang out with friends and what do you do?
210. Do you like reality shows? Why? Do you feel they contribute anything to society?
211. Do you think that people spend too much time on social media and texting on phones instead of talking to each other face to face?
212. Have you ever used a dating service like eHarmony? Do you think that if people got off the computers, they could meet people in real life to date?
213. Are you obsessed with anything?
214. What is your favorite way to waste time?
215. Do you make plans for every weekend?
216. Are you spontaneous? If not, would you like to be?
217. What flaws you can’t stand on someone?
218. Are you always on time or late?
219. Do you procrastinate?
220. Do you believe in karma?
221. What popular thing annoys you?
222. Do you use any apps on your phone? If yes, how many apps do you use regularly?
223. What are the 3 best apps on your phone?
224. What is your most addictive mobile game?
225. What is the most useless app you have tried?
226. Which app do you use the most?
227. How often do you check your phone?
228. Do you ever leave anywhere without your phone?
229. Do you have a personal blog?
230. Do you always buy the latest phone when it comes out to the market?
231. Do you ever buy used electronics?
232. Do you ever buy second hand?
233. Do you go to garage sales? If not, would you like to?
234. Have you ever sold something on Craigslist?
235. Have you ever bought anything from Craigslist?
236. What is the strangest app you have ever heard of?
237. Which app has worked like a magic when you first used it?
238. What is the most annoying thing about your cellphone?
239. What do you wish that your phone could do?
240. What was your first smart phone?
241. What do you think the cellphones would be like in 20 years?
242. Do you call or text more? Explain why?
243. Do you have a case for your phone? If yes, why did you choose that particular one?How have your goals changed your life
244. Have you ever flushed your phone accidentally? Or washed it in a washing machine?
245. How do you feel if you would forget your cellphone home?
246. Do you usually achieve the goals you set for you?
247. How have your goals changed your life?
248. Do you have any phobias?
249. What are you most afraid of?
250. How much do you plan for your future?
251. What was your most embarrassing moment when you were a kid?
252. What would you want your last meal to be if you were on death row?
253. What do you get every time you go grocery shopping?
254. have you ever had a food fight? If yes, when was the last time you had it?
255. What old trend would you like to come back?
256. What is the perfect age for retirement?
257. What was the most boring book you had to read when you were in school?
258. What were some of your goals you have failed to accomplish?
259. When did you cry last?
260. What is your most important goal you want to achieve next year?
No matter if you just met the person or you’ve know them for a while, using these conversation topics will help you get to know someone even better. Pick and choose the ones that are interesting to you and next time when you are on a date, party or any other event, you have something to ask and talk about.