From the beginning of time, men have had a lot of responsibility when it comes to approaching and getting women.
You see a woman you like, you approach her, and then all of your mental capabilities, such as remembering, processing, and thinking go out the window. Is it nerves? A study suggests that it is just a normal thing that happens to men when interacting with women, especially when talking to a woman they find attractive.
The findings of the study are not surprising. Many TV shows and movies have portrayed the reality of a man talking to a woman for the first time pretty accurately. He gets tongue-tied, says or does something silly, and then mentally slaps himself on the forward as he does so. The woman, on the other hand, keeps her composure and waits for the man to collect himself.
Why Do Men Get Tongue Tied During Conversation?
Here is my theory: It is the man’s job to impress the woman and woo her, right? Well, that is the way society (and biology) has labeled it! A man is responsible for the interaction from beginning to end.
- He approaches her.
- He initiates conversation.
- He asks her for her number.
He has a lot of pressure on him! And, the more pressure (stress) you have on you, the more messed up you can become cognitively.
Stress can cause us to do silly things, such as talk in a way we wouldn’t normally talk, do things we normally wouldn’t do, and make a big fool out of ourselves. Women have less stress during an initial conversation than men, and this is probably why they get less tongue-tied.
Is It Something You Have To Live With?
Nope. There are ways to reduce stress on the approach, and I have seen many men approach a woman without getting all tongue-tied or acting abnormal, so it is very possible.
The biggest way to remove stress when talking to women is to become more confident.
Build Your Confidence
The more confident you are about yourself, the less stressed you will on the approach. I found the following video from Matthew Coast, and I really like the points he talked about.
Summary of Video’s Points
- Dress better: The better you look, the more confident you will feel.
- Exercise more: Studies have shown that exercise will make you feel more attractive, even if your body hasn’t changed at all.
- Act as if you are already confident! This simple trick can help you feel more confident. Don’t believe me, try it!
- Change your posture: Stand like a confident person stands and you will instantly feel more confident. Slump like a guy who is not confident and you will instantly feel less confident.
- Be good at what you do: The better you are at what you do, the more confident you will feel about yourself. Practice, study up, and become the best you possible.
- Actively engage in personal and professional growth: The more you learn about yourself, the more confidence you will have in your individuality and ability in life.
Seriously, do those above things starting right now and you will see that tomorrow will be full of more confidence than today, and the next day will be full of even more confidence, and soon you will reduce the stress you feel during social interactions and, who knows, you may stop acting foolish around a woman you just met. 😉